Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature update to Windows 10, version 2004

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Feature update to Windows 10, version 2004

When I look at Windows Update under Settings in Windows10 there is a 'Feature update to Windows 10, version 2004' listed.  It's been there quite a long time but I haven't had the usual constant reminders to download and install it.  A quick Google search reveals that it isn't universally liked, but then people wouldn't post if an update went without a hitch.

If any of you have downloaded and installed it, did it go smoothly, is it worth doing, would you recommend it?

17 REPLIES 17
djcjuk
Rising Star
Fixes: 5

Re: Feature update to Windows 10, version 2004

I have had lots of problems with it. I would wait until it asks you to install it. I did it recently and it took 6 hours to install. It is has caused lots of problems since May and they have been rolling it out over a period of months depending on which computer you have. It is the 1st update I have had problems installing..

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

There's a discussion about it on the Kitz forum . Doesn't seem to have caused any major issues.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Bogbody
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Installed ok on 2 x pc's here, no problems at all. 🙂
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

I suspect the feature update that @Jonpe is referring to is the additional update that you can select to install which isn't installed automatically as part of the version 2004 update.

feature update.jpg

I recall reading about it somewhere and decided to just install it (on 11th July according to the update history). So far the PC hasn't fallen over or done anything silly. In fact its been a bit of a bore! 😁 

It has a link at the bottom that if you click it tells you what the added bits are. Seems they will get installed at some point anyway. And no, the link isn't an url so I can't link to it.

Edit: forgot to mention. Didn't take that long to download or install but then I've got a pretty fast setup. Haven't bothered with the laptops yet so whether it takes a long time on slower models couldn't tell you..

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

@Jonpe wrote:

When I look at Windows Update under Settings in Windows10 there is a 'Feature update to Windows 10, version 2004' listed.  It's been there quite a long time but I haven't had the usual constant reminders to download and install it.  A quick Google search reveals that it isn't universally liked, but then people wouldn't post if an update went without a hitch.

If any of you have downloaded and installed it, did it go smoothly, is it worth doing, would you recommend it?

The feature update sat on my PC for months too until it was presumably forcibly installed by Microsoft - installation and configuration took about 5 hours, but it doesn't crash and is no more irritating than previous Windows 10 versions, by which I mean I always feel I've got to stay alert to keep control of my PC rather than letting MS make all the choices for me (like when or if to install updates!!)

Jonpe
Hero

Thank you all for your comments.  I always try to delay updates in case of major problems, and so far all mine have gone well.  Perhaps I'd be tempting fate if I install this one and expect the same.  I think I'll leave it for a while until Microsoft decide they want to 'make my computer even better' or whatever terminology they prefer to use.

Steven_Thompson
Dabbler

I've tried to install this update on my HP PC every day for the past week and it only ever gets to 90% before it stops and restores the previous version. I originally got a notification in Windows Update that the update was available for the PC, but when that didn't work I've been using the Windows Update Assistant. It always fails.
Bogbody
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

The update failing at 90% or so could be down to a bit of hardware driver software that the installer program fails due to an incompatible version.
A while ago (last year) I had a problem with an update that failed due to an Intel HD graphics driver.
The update failed because the driver version installed was "imcompatible" - no error message - found cause after a bit of googling.
I updated the driver via the Intel website.
The W10 update then completed ok.
Jonpe
Hero

Many years ago, I can't remember whether I was using Windows Vista or Windows 7 at the time, there was an update that failed repeatedly at 87%.  I eventually managed to interrupt the process and restore the system to before the installation started.  A subsequent Google search revealed that a lot of people had had this problem and someone suggested never installing updates for three weeks after they became available so that any bugs would have been fixed.  I went by that rule and was surprised to find quite a few updates disappearing (fixed and included in future updates I assume).  Unfortunately Windows 10 Home just can't wait 'to make Windows even better' so a three-week delay isn't always possible.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

I'm SO glad that OS will never be on my machine - I intend to keep W7 as long as my machine lasts, but am preparing for the day it fails by obtaining a machine with Zorin already installed, which will be run alongside W7 while I modify it in accordance with shutters excellent tutorial, and then will be my main machine, keeping this one for anything that 'just won't' run on Linux, although from my reading of current information, that will be very little.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@jab1 

Going off topic as I have had no problems with Win 10. I have an aversion to using an unsupported OS that's a target for the bad guys.  

From the way Office 365 is being promoted,  Microsoft seem to be slowly moving over to a yearly licence model so in anticipation of the day when they start charging for updates I too have a second machine on which to learn more about Linux. To be honest I could not get on with Zorin and am getting on much better with the Cinnamon version of Mint 20.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@Baldrick1 Sorry for taking the thread off-topic,  but I've had the opposite experience with W10 - unfortunately I'm the 'IT helpdesk' in my family, and have to help three family members with that OS, which I have come to dislike intensely for the time and stress it has caused me.

I understand your aversion to an unsupported OS, but as I know three people still using XP who have had no problems, I sometimes wonder if some of that is M$ induced scare tactics. I have no Microsoft Office type programs - there are plenty of third-party options for what I need, and if I don't want to pay for the latest version, I have yet to find one that stops working once installed.

Each to their own as regards the flavour of Linux - I have tried a few over the years, and found Zorin the easiest to get on with. It probably helps that one of the developers posts on our local city forum, and I have got to know him personally.

John
Steven_Thompson
Dabbler

Thanks @Bogbody, I appreciate your suggestion.  However, when I tried using Intel's own driver update tool, it just told me that mine is an HP-specific version of the graphics driver, so can't be updated via the tool.  The HP website says my driver is up to date.

Never mind, I'll just wait for my PC to catch up in its own time.  I hope it doesn't affect future W10 updates.

Jonpe
Hero

Last Thursday night while my laptop was happily recharging in sleep mode, I noticed it coming to life and the light on the router flashing enthusiastically.  I thought it was the two September updates being downloaded and thought it was a bit cheeky since we were still in my 'active hours'.  I shut down the computer and went to bed.  The next day I checked and found that 17% of this update had been downloaded.  It continued downloading in the background and started installing itself as soon as the download was complete.  You were right @djcjuk, it did indeed take about six hours!

I now have a silvery grey taskbar with a start menu in a different shade of grey (perhaps after a few more updates we'll have 50 shades of grey 😀), and the period of black screen between the Dell logo and the blue screen with the circling dots when booting up is noticeably longer.

I've tried changing the colour of the taskbar back to its original black but that colour doesn't feature in the palate offered.  However, when I used the DOWN arrow the colour changed to black; the only problem is that it didn't only turn the taskbar and start menu black but also things like Windows Update, Control Panel etc.  It's no big deal and I'm getting used to the silver taskbar but it's annoying when Microsoft change things just for the sake of it.