Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fastest Web Browser (YOU THINK) Is Fastest With Plusnet

scottmg
Grafter

Fastest Web Browser (YOU THINK) Is Fastest With Plusnet

Would like your opinions please?

also have any of you tried googles public DNS server? if so do you think its better then plusnets?
thanks
8 REPLIES 8
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Fastest Web Browser (YOU THINK) Is Fastest With Plusnet

Google's DNS is excellent as a backup to the Plusnet DNS servers. The Plusnet servers are situated in the same location as the gateways your broadband goes through. They are therefore ideally placed to give the fastest response - but they do sometimes fail so having the Google DNS servers as backups gives you the best of both, fastest as the first servers, most reliable as the backup.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
fourfourdevon
Grafter

In my speed tests of DNS I found Plusnets DNS to be quote slow compared to many, including Google.
You can easily run your own tests and find the fastest DNS for you by visiting here.
scottmg
Grafter

so this GRC Dns Nameserver, i see its pretty easy to run. do i just run the benchmark. and the two top dns servers will be best. so i put them in my router as the dns servers?
thanks
fourfourdevon
Grafter

You could do that yes, although take a look at who they are, make sure you think you can trust them, also bear in mind, if they belong to different ISP's who doesn't have a reason to provide a public DNS they could withdraw them, but if your happy to change them and re-run the benchmark, sure go for it.
I have my own DNS server at home, and then use OpenDNS.  Last time I ran the benchmark OpenDNS were right at the top, this time they didn't even make into the top 50.  But various BT DNS servers (not Plusnets whose DNS has never made it into the top 50 on any tests Ive run) seem to be always at the top.
scottmg
Grafter

what dns servers would you recommend me using then? im currently using googles....... 8.8.8.8 / / / 8.8.4.4
my xbox live seems to be quicker (great thing!!)
but im unsure whether its best to use plusnets. ive only just got my connection working right. thanks to jojo resetting my SNR.
I dont want to be changing settings and rebooting and it all mess up again....
thanks for your views..
what web browsers do you use?
i currently use google chrome but i am unsure if there are faster browsers out there.
cheers
ScottMG
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Personally I would stick with either
OpenDNS
Google DNS
Plusnet's DNS
Because whilst speed is very important, so is security and knowing I'm not going to get cut off at anytime.
If you want raw speed go with what the DNS Benchmark tells you, or better still setup your own DNS server on your LAN, that will always beat hands down any purely internet based service, and the DNS Benchmark shows that every time.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

If Google's DNS servers work for you there's no point in changing. DNS response varies from minute to minute, depends on the type of request being made, and the differences for the better ones are usually not statistically significant.
As far as which is the fastest browser - if the one you are using responds adequately for you on your connection and with your personal browsing profile, provides the features you want and that you feel comfortable with then stick with it.
David
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Quote from: spraxyt
If Google's DNS servers work for you there's no point in changing. DNS response varies from minute to minute, depends on the type of request being made, and the differences for the better ones are usually not statistically significant.
Normally I would agree, but both Googles and OpenDNS's performance has for me fallen quite steeply in the last few months and they are no longer one of the better ones.
And also, if you have your own DNS, cached queries, which are after all the most common query, are significantly faster too, since replies are in the 5 to 10ms range, rather than the 30 to 60ms of even the best external DNS's.
Scott, as per the PM, setting up your own DNS server can be quite difficult, but if you choose the right package can be quite easy.  I use a home server setup called Amahi which is very easy to use and setup, it's based Linux and Fedora, but you wouldn't know it, its basically point and click installation.  But you will need a spare PC to run it on, it does far more than DNS, but you should take a look at the Amahi website to see its full capabilities.