cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faster Internet?

jaz4390

Faster Internet?

Hi, im not unknowledgable in internet speeds and connections etc, but this just goes a bit technical to which i cant seem to find an answer to.
I have just had new fibre optic cables laid in my town to which i can now receive faster broadband speeds, Smiley yay. Does this mean though that on my standard adsl connection, that i am on 2mb atm, could improve up to the possible 8mb max it can take, or am i just mixing two seperate connections together which i assume i am doing?
If to receive the faster broaband speed i have to change to a fibre optic set up, will plusnet be offering a service very very soon?  Roll_eyes
Hope you understand and able to clear my discombobulated head, cheers
jaz
6 REPLIES 6
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Faster Internet?

Welcome to the Forums.
It might be good news or it might be bad, firstly what town are you in?,  Do you know who owns the cable?
jaz4390

Thanks
I live in the lovely town of Basingstoke, no pun intended....well ok....maybe..... and i believe its BT Openreach since they are the ones who have installed it
http://www.ehampshire.org/basingstoke/c-304 - link to main site which has most information
Cheers
pierre_pierre
Grafter

That looks good so far, now its up to the Comms guys to have there say.
Other areas have been done by private companies and PN would not give an answer as the costings seemed to be hidden and were driving people to use those private companies as their ISP
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

My parents live in Basingstoke and there's a lot of work being done by BT (Upgrading cabinets) in many areas, looks like they're in line for FTTC or similar.
I might finally get them on the internet (with a PN referral of course) as their BT line quality has always been poor (even dial-up was a disaster) even though they are not excessively far from the exchange so they have never had broadband since a BT engineer said much of the infrastructure in their area was so poor it might not sustain Broadband, hopefully this will solve all that.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jaz4390

I know how they feel walker23, i was on about 550kbps for years, that was painfull, only had 2mbps for a year or so because luckily i have two phone lines in the house and one just happened to support more, and it was about 10 years older!
I also had heard a story of a guy who wanted fibre optic a few months ago for his business...was quoted £7000 to have a private installation!  Shocked
So i assume i just have to wait a few weeks to find out who will provide me with their service?
hadster
Dabbler

Hi
For those that feel the pain in Basingstoke, a website has been established by a resident giving information which cabinets up to be upgraded.  I thought it was really interesting and gives hope for us still living in the middle ages!
If you're local cabinet is not due an upgrade there are also links to log your dissatisfaction at BT's lottery.
http://www.basingstoke-broadband.co.uk/