cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Familysearch locking/crashing browser

harrym1byt
Rising Star

Familysearch locking/crashing browser

This happens using both Firefox and to a lesser extent MS Edge - I am trying to use Familysearch.org to work on my family tree. It is already quite extensive and has become almost impossible to use it effectively because it is proving so slow to respond - sometimes as long as ten minutes to download a single page of simple data/graphics. Sometimes it just grinds to a complete halt, in the midst of refreshing the pages - using Firefox, it grinds to a halt and other tabs for other sites are unable to refresh. Even closing the Familysearch tab down, still leaves the other tabs frozen.

Normal browsing on numerous other sites is absolutely fine. Is it the site, my browsers, Plusnet, or what please?

7 REPLIES 7
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Familysearch locking/crashing browser

Try changing router's DNS settings to GOOGLE's:

You can't do that with a PN Router; if that's case, change DNS on the PC.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@harrym1byt I'm not going to check that tonight - got other things to do - but it sounds like a website problem if normal browsing elsewhere is OK.

John
harrym1byt
Rising Star

Its a Netgear router and changing the DNS to Google has made no difference at all..

jab1
Legend

Just tried loading the start page - almost instant, but it is quite a 'busy' page. Sorry, not going any further, though, having seen the organisation behind it.

John
harrym1byt
Rising Star

I'm an atheist, but the website doesn't differentiate between religions - Its just that they set a lot of store with family history.

The first page loads fine in either browser here, I just have issues with speed and lock ups, when I login and try to delve into the details of my tree.  

I was rather hoping someone else might be using the site and could express an opinion.

jab1
Legend

OK, understand @harrym1byt.

John
Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note:

Thread moved from Broadband to Tech Help.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still