cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failure configuring windows updates?

jasonfreeman
Grafter

Failure configuring windows updates?

I install updates on my asus laptop but when it tells me to restart it, the laptop restarts and gets to 98% configuring windows updates but then it comes up with "Failure configuring Windows updates Reverting changes Do not turn off your computer", can someone help me solve this problem please and the laptop is an asus X401A.
10 REPLIES 10
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Failure configuring windows updates?

which version of Windows and how much spare space do you have on the C: Drive
jasonfreeman
Grafter

Windows 8 and I'm not sure but its a brand new laptop not even a month old since I bought it
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

jasonfreeman
Grafter

I will try that when my laptop finishes reverting chnages but I run the troubleshooter on the windows update on my laptop and it said something about error then a code but it fixed it and then the second was about something missing from it but that was fixed too then I ran it again and no problems came up but when I restarted my laptop it still came up saying "failure...." 
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

windows 8 , is the failure  Cheesy
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Roberto0151
Grafter

A little while ago I had a similar problem on a new laptop and it was tracked down to the incompatibility of one of the items of cxxp ware bundled with the machine.  If there is a manufacturers forum for the laptop it may be worth looking there.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Try installing your updates one at a time to identify the one that doesn't work.  It's difficult to find how to do this on Windows 8 but it can be done - you need to track down the Desktop version of Windows Update.
CX
Grafter

Quote from: ReedRichards
Try installing your updates one at a time to identify the one that doesn't work.

I had this happen not long after Windows 8 came out, and this was the only solution.
I think it happens when you have a lot of updates which need installing, and for whatever reason, incompatible updates try to get installed at the same time.
jasonfreeman
Grafter

i have 14 updates and 2 of them are security updates and the rest are windows 8 base system updates
jasonfreeman
Grafter

Problem sorted. At first my Windows updates wouldn't install it would come up with a message saying "failure configuring Windows updates, Reverting chnages". To fix this problem for anyone that has it, firstly you check for the latest Windows updates and then note down every single code that starts with "KB" you then type into internet explorer "Windows download centre" then you click on the website and in the search bar on the Windows download centre website you type the code of the "important windows updates" for example it should start with "KB". You download and then open it and install it then finally you restart your PC and then it will 100% configure Windows Update.