cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failing disc and file copying

Mav
Fixes: 515

Failing disc and file copying

Not sure if this should be in here, Hardware,  Mac?Linux Software or Chit Chat...
As mentioned in another thread I have a failing 1TB drive which contains some 950+GB of files some large some small.
I have a new 1TB and set about copying all the files in stages rather than all at once. Windows Explorer (W7 32) occasionally threw an error telling me a certain file couldn't be read (occasionally allowing me to Skip) but, more than often, it just appeared to wait with no further file transfers even though WE never actually crashed. After waiting at times in excess of 20 minutes clicking Cancel then caused crashes and often only pressing the Resent button on the case would resolve it.
I even tried rebooting into safe mode (with networking) but still the same problems.
I then inserted an Ubuntu Live CD and set about copying the files. So far it has reported a few errors and allowed me to skip those files. It hasn't hung and it seems to be copying so much faster Smiley
I'm not going to convert to Linux but just wanted to say how grateful I am for all the previous advice given here which has enabled me to save tons of data via the Ubuntu CD.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

13 REPLIES 13
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Failing disc and file copying

As a permanent Windows user since v3.1 I think I also agree that a Linux boot CD is one of the best ways to get out of real nasties - including Windows refusing to load on a laptop where there is only a recovery CD and transferring all the files to another computer via the local network
Mav

But if Linux can read/copy the files without crashing or throwing some other wobbly then, surely, it can't be that massive an issue for Windows to be capable of the same...
After all, it's the same hardware each is accessing.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Anonymous
Not applicable

Once you have moved as many of the files as you can, then using your Ubuntu CD, go to the "Synaptic Package Manager" and search for "recovery ntfs" and that will list a number of tools for recovering the remaining files from corrupted NTFS folders.  You might still be able to retrieve those last remaining 'skipped' files !  Smiley
Mav

Ooops.
The first batch I just 'Sent to trash' assuming they may be beyond recovery. They weren't that important and I can get them from another source should I wish to.
I noticed in the top left a drive icon with an exclamation mark in an orange triangle. Clicking on this show two drives 'With many bad sectors'. Both have the suggestion that they should be replaced.  The other one is a very old 80GB drive so I'll sort that one out.
Under Windows only one is reported with any errors and even running Western Digital's own Windows diagnostics (albeit Short test) no errors were found.
Can I assume from this that Windows apps are not that great at detecting HD errors? Maybe I'd be better testing the drives from DOS?

Anonymous
Not applicable

[quote=Mav]The first batch I just 'Sent to trash' assuming they may be beyond recovery
Just go to the Ubuntu "Rubbish Bin" (usually at the bottom right hand corner of the desktop) and reinstate them.

[quote=Mav]Western Digital's own Windows diagnostics (albeit Short test) no errors were found.
I have found the Western Digital "Data Lifeguard Diagnostics" to be the tool of choice for testing WD drives.
If that is saying there is NO errors, then I would tend to believe it, and the problems you have seen are probably just Windows writing a bad directory file, or it failed to complete a cache write before a powerdown.

Do you currently have the failing drive connected externally or from an internal SATA cable ?
I don't know whether this would work for an external drive, but if you still have your Ubuntu session running, then
[System] -> [Administration] -> [Disk Utility]
If the drive is visible then select the drive from the list.
The screen with then show the "SMART Status" which hopefully will be showing "Disk is healthy"
Then you could select [View SMART data and run self tests], and see if there is anything untoward.
If you like you can play with the test options.
minkey
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

If you want  a Windows program which may help, Google 'Unstoppable Copier' or go to http://www.roadkil.net/program.php?ProgramID=29 to see if that helps
Jeff
Mav

Thanks for all the advice and tips.
I'll wait till all files have been transferred then I set about testing all my drives.
Edit: One thing about file-copying in W7 is the ability to see more details including the name of the currently copied/moved file. I can't see a corresponding option in Ubuntu - is there one?
Edit2: On the subject of copying/moving I have found that if you have several thousand files in various folders on a HDD then, overall, it seems quicker to copy each folder one at a time than to select the lot.
Edit3. I'm having some probs with Ubuntu which I have mentioned here if anyone can offer some help, please.

Mav

Having finally got all the data off the drive I am running Western Digital's Extended Test.
On a 1TB drive the estimated time remaining is a little over 10 hours after running for 30 minutes.
It's been a long time since I've run any diagnostics and not on such a large drive. Does over 10 hours sound right for the size of drive?

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, I just ran up Western Digital "Data Lifeguard Diagnostics" V5.04f for DOS and I happen to have a WD 160GB SATA2 7200rpm drive fitted for testing.
Running the "Extended Test" says it will take 33m 11s.
So assuming you have a similarly spec'ed drive, then I reckon a 1TB drive should take 3h 27m 24s.
If your drive is 5400rpm then that that time would increase to 4h 36m 32s.
If you have SATA-1 then it would take longer.
If it were USB then it might be slower still.
If you are running the diagnostics under Windows, then I have no experience of the effect of that version.
There may also be the effect of what speed you PC is, my test machine happens to be a Pentium-4 3.2GHz.
So I would be a bit surprised if it really does take ten hours, but your test has already been running four hours so you might as well let it run to completion.  Undecided
Mav

I left it running when I went out and it was indicating around 8 hours left after an hour's use.
When I got back it had failed with 'Too many bad sectors'. It had been running for just over 5 hours and still said 8:37:47 remaining  Shocked
I can only assume that the high sector errors was causing the check to be slow as it did with normal disc access.
I was running the diagnostics from within Windows 7.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I forgot to mention that the program does run VERY slowly when there are a lot of errors detected  Cry
Because it has failed with bad sectors, what you should try next is -
1)  Ensure that you are happy that you have copied everything you wanted to another drive.
2)  Run the "Write Zeros To Drive" and then select "Full Erase", this will wipe the drive clean and MIGHT (if you are very lucky) cause the errored sectors to be remapped, which (if it works) would leave you with a working drive.
3)  If step 2 works - and runs to completion without an error message, then try running the "Extended Test" again.
I wouldn't be too hopeful of a successful outcome, as 'Too many bad sectors' might be beyond recovery, whereas when a few sectors have gone then this procedure is often effective and the drive will often work faultlessly for years.
Obviously if it can be recovered, you still don't actually know what previously failed to cause the bad sectors, so I would be a bit cautious about putting any valuable data on the drive until you have used it long enough that the likelihood of further lost sectors seems to have passed.
If the drive can't be recovered by the writing zeros action, you should find the serial number of the drive and enter it into this page http://websupport.wdc.com/warranty/serialinput.asp?aspsid=545143976&custtype=end&requesttype=warrant... and that will tell you if you are entitled to receive a replacement drive.  For a 1TB drive which would have been manuafctured in the last couple of years, then there is a good chance the WD will send you a replacement if you go through their RMA procedure here http://support.wdc.com/warranty/index_end.asp?lang=en.
Mav

Thanks, purleigh.
I checked its warranty status when I first noticed problems last week and it's still covered Smiley
So I'll just RMA it although as it did contain some private info I'll write zeros a couple of times first.
Edit it's suggesting over 13 hours to write zeros to the entire drive  - I reckon it'll fail well before that  Sad

Mav

After over 12 hours of writing it completed with a green tick but also a message informing it 'Failed to update the disc properly'???
Will RMA it this weekend Roll_eyes