cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed Update

Not applicable

Failed Update

Please can anyone offer a solution to the failure to install the update as shown in the attachments?
I have tried manual installation to no avail. Each time I shut the machine down to finish the installation and when I restart it is still there.
24 REPLIES 24
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Failed Update

This suggests that .NET is corrupt and needs re-installing.
but have a look here.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

If that fails there is dot.net removal utility which enables you to wipe the slate clean and start again.  This has always worked for me in similar circumstances.  If you are still stuck I will look it up and post a link.
Not applicable

For the moment I have it hidden as I am not sure how to tell if .net is corrupt - AFAIK it is OK (well, at least I have had no warnings on the matter).
Also, have followed the link but I don't know which to download.
What do you mean by 'wiping the slate clean'?  Sorry but I wouldn't know where to start.
I don't want to reinstall Windows and all the updates as it is all working perfectly.
I wonder if it would be best just to keep it hidden and forget about it?  Huh
pierre_pierre
Grafter

never really sure if I need .net and all its rubbish slow downs, but RR means just remove .net and all its bits then re install .net from a fresh download
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Yes, that's exactly what I mean.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

do I need .net with Win 7?
Not applicable

It sounds a bit complicated for my level of skill so I think that for now I will just hide it.
Thank you for your help and advice.
magnetism2772
Grafter

cleaning net framework
means to delete it
when you use the windows cleaning tool
so on the next reboot any file that needed  net framework, well  it wont run
(as  it s  been deleted)
just hide the file  that gave the error   message  like poppy  did
pierre_pierre
Grafter

so - what programs do need .net, that was my question, i.e. if its MSN - I dont use it
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

ATI graphics card software
Steve
Seasoned Pro

OK, just what is the .NET framework?
To grossly oversimplify, it's a package of common support software that can be used by programs so that they don't all have to re-write the same software over and over again. More specifically, it's aimed at users of Microsoft's newer versions of programming languages like C#, Visual Basic .NET and others. The .NET framework provides a broad array of functionality that can be used by programs written in those languages to perform common tasks, most commonly things that involve interacting with Windows itself.
So you may well have programs installed on your machine that rely on the .NET framework, and thus deleting .NET will cause that program to fail. Over time, more and more programs have come to rely on .NET, so chances are actually pretty high that you have at least one and perhaps more that rely on .NET.
You get the .NET framework either of three ways:
     It might already be on your machine. Certain versions of the .NET framework are pre-installed on some versions of Windows.
     A program you install might install it. The .NET framework is available in what are called "redistributable packages", which means nothing more than software vendors can include it in the software they deliver to you. If a program requires the .NET framework, then it may include it on its CD or in its download, and install it automatically as part of installing the program.
     You may be instructed to download it. The .NET framework tends to be large, and because it's also fairly common these days, many vendors are opting not to actually include it in their distributions, but instead ask you to download and install it if you don't already have the required version.

More about net framework here.....http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Not applicable

Well, I'm not going to mess everything up by uninstalling and reinstalling .NET just for the sake of a 2.5MB update. If I knew which one to go for from the link above I would have a go at that but as it is I am not sure so will leave well alone.
It will have to stay hidden for now.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Poppy If you want It try It from here....http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=9cfb2d51-5ff4-4491-b0e5-b386f32c0992
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Whereas if you want to clean it off and start again, this page links to the dot.net removal tool I mentioned earlier:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx