cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FVS318v3 and D-Link DSL-320B

joelah

FVS318v3 and D-Link DSL-320B

I have an Netgear FVS318v3 and a D-Link DSL-320B and I'm trying to get them to work together. Now I followed all the instructions, boot sequence recommendations, wizards, etc to no avail. Finally, I set things up manually in a way that seems to be identical to the following archive forum;
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,36099.msg328588.html
My laptop is allocated 192.168.0.2, 255.255.255.0, 192.168.0.1. I can access the control panels for the FVS318v3 on 192.168.0.1, and I can ping / access the DSL modem control panels on 192.168.1.1 all at the same time. Problem is, I can't get access to the internet. And incidentally, I can access the internet 'directly' through the DSL modem without changing any of it's settings (of course in this case, my laptop is allocated 192.168.1.2 as an IP address).
My last though is that it could be a mac address thing. But the trial and error method of proving this is not working for me. Would much appreciate any help!
5 REPLIES
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: FVS318v3 and D-Link DSL-320B

I suspect you'd need to put the D-Link into bridge mode if you can and then let the Netgear allocate the IP addresses, as you've two different subnets there (.1.1 and .0.1) - the only devices that would be able to access the internet would be the ones on the same subnet as the D-Link.
As an aside, I used to have an FVS318 though I'm not sure if it was the v3. The WAN port was only a 10Mbit which would limit your connection speed if yours is the same - might be worth looking at that.
joelah

Thanks Matt. Indeed, this was my train of thought originally. But after hours of trying to get it to work (disabling / enabling DHCP on both sides, setting up a bridge of sorts, etc, etc), I came across the above mentioned archive article that suggested the use of two separate networks. And it seems to have worked for the fella that asked the question originally.
As for the FVS318v3 (looks like the WAN to LAN throughput isn't to good either), this is something I picked up for next to nothing when I found my current router starting to fail. So I just bought an ADSL2+ modem to go with it? Perhaps you have some hardware recommendations? What do you use currently?
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've got a D-Link router that does all the connection gubbins, that connects to all the stuff in the lounge (media PC, xbox etc) and there's a long cable that goes up both sets of stairs to a gigabit switch in the attic for my gaming PC and server - everything works alright.
I'd not really recommend anything specific to be honest, I know there's good reports from the Netgear DG834 series on these forums which can be picked up quite cheaply second hand on ebay. If you don't mind spending a bit more there's also posts lauding the Billion routers in the hardware section, but I think they're somewhat over the £100 mark.
joelah

Yeah, thanks Matt, it's my creaky DG834 that needs replacing. Like you, I need loads of ports. I flooded my house with cat5 a number of years, so I can patch anything to anywhere. Given that my switches work okay, I think it may be a better idea to just directly replace the DG834 with something newer. I did like the idea of using VPN to access my network remotely though. So maybe the gigabit version of the FVS318v3? Either way, some buying and selling on eBay may well be in order.
rdowns
Grafter

Hi Joelah...
FYI, before you go too far down the FVS318 route, a number of versions including the V3 have a habit of resetting unexpectedly, especially under heavy usage.  You know it's happened when your LAN connection appears to have reconnected for no good reason and (on XP, for example) a speech bubble pops up "Lan connected 100Mb" or similar.  There's is some info on the Netgear forums but no good fixes, they used to replace faulty ones FOC if you tried REALLY hard. 
The FVS338 does not have the issue and it's a lot more "professional".  I used the FVS338 with a DG834 with great success (actually 3 FVS338 routers on one DG834 with an 8 IP subnet - great for isolating a test network and wireless conections from a private PC network all on a single ADSL connection)
Hope this helps and saves some time in the future,
Robin