cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC

mapletree
Grafter

FTTC

Can I pre-order FTTC?  My area is due to be upgraded soon and we have seen the cabinets being installed  Smiley
I'd like to be enabled ASAP so would rather avoid keep checking every day if possible.
13 REPLIES 13
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: FTTC

Hi there,
I'm afraid not, we can only place the order on an exchange/cabinet that's already been enabled.
mapletree
Grafter

Is there any way of being notified when the cabinet is enabled?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Not that we're aware of I'm afraid. We realise that's not ideal though.
EDIT: Beg pardon, you might get advance notice and an estimated date if you check your phone number in http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome - even if you do get a date though it's still worth checking occasionally as they are subject to change.
mapletree
Grafter

Thanks.  I had already tried the BT tester but did not believe it until we saw the cabinets being installed:
"Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 31st December 2011. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 28.1Mbps and upstream line speed of 11.1Mbps."
I wonder how they can give an estimated speed before they actually install the cabinets?  Wink
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi mapletree,
They may be estimating it via distance. I also have a spreadsheet which says December. Unfortunately, we can't order it for you until the cabinet is enabled.
Jojo Smiley
mapletree
Grafter

I assume that it will appear in "Product Change" -> "Choose broadband product" when available?
BTW:  The plusnet portal is really s-l-o-w ATM (see http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,100117).. It's taking minutes to load each page.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: mapletree
I assume that it will appear in "Product Change" -> "Choose broadband product" when available?

Yes, that should show in the account change process once it's available to you. Smiley
BRABUS
Grafter

Quote from: Joanne
I also have a spreadsheet which says December.
Jojo Smiley

Hi Jojo, does your spreadsheet give a date for my exchange or when you type in Belper does your pc start laughing  Cheesy Cheesy
mapletree
Grafter

If I move to FTTC will I be able to keep my static IP address (I mean the same one)?  Also what about the other features (web space, free domain) etc....?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@BRABUS Best bet is to check the link I posted above, or put your phone number into http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=29017 - you can register interest there if the exchange isn't enabled, if you get enough people to register from your area it'll bring the date forward for enablement.
@mapletree Yes, you'll be able to keep the static IP, webspace and domain etc Smiley
mapletree
Grafter

The estimated date for FTTC has now moved to the end of March.  Sad  Angry
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI mapletree,
I believe dates at the end of March, June, September & December are place-holders when there's no official date, although there are plans to install it. Once there is a date this will change. It may be that come the end of March they'll change it to 30th June although it's also possible that it could changed to a set date before then. All a bit vague I'm afraid.
Jojo Smiley
mapletree
Grafter

I wish you'd said that before.  They have installed cabinets here though and I believe some nearby areas are already active.