cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC speed estimate

Ransomefan
Grafter

FTTC speed estimate

I see that FTTC is scheduled for my exchange.  At present my broadband speed is affected by distance from exchange (attn. 52db) and high noise factor (neighbour's plasma TV) , Margin with his TV off is 18db and 6db with it on.  I am thinking that when fibre comes I might well pay the £10 a month + installation and router to get it.  However, is it possible, given my situation, to get a reasonably accurate idea of the download speed I might get before I commit myself to a 18 month contract?
2 REPLIES 2
mikeyriot
Grafter

Re: FTTC speed estimate

The only estimate you can get for FTTC is based on BTW's guesswork, so assuming you know its scheduled in your area I take it you did a check either on either PN's homepage or BT's availability checker?
BT's checker should give you a (very) rough estimate going from personal and other forum members experience. FYI I was told to expect 27mb, but have been connected at 38718kbs - the highest sync rate achievable, with throughput usually around the 34-37mb mark (occasinally dropping to about 23mb) since day one. The checker seems to be mostly conservative however it can be optimistic too.
In short, no, there are no accurate means of determining what your speed will be.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: FTTC speed estimate

Hi Ransomefan
As well as checking the BT Availability Checker, when you change your account you will be given a speed estimate there too.
Jojo Smiley