cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC cabinets appearing

TLE
Grafter

FTTC cabinets appearing

Over the last few days numerous FTTC cabinets have started appearing around Thirsk in North Yorkshire including the one at the end off my road. The place holder date says June 2012. I was wondering how long after cabinets are installed is service usually offered. They seem to be moving very quickly with the install.
TLE
9 REPLIES 9
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

Re: FTTC cabinets appearing

About 3 months for them to offer a domestic service in my case. I'd registered an interest prior to that.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
matt_2k34
Grafter

in my case the cab was ready about 2 weeks after the date given by BT.
It was delayed due to e-on being required to put in some power lines to the new cab.
the cab had been sat 'installed' (not sure of the internals) but i knew e-on dragged their feet (always worth a wander to see whats cracking off Wink )
So just be warned - BT might be working very fast - but the power company in your area may not be keeping pace Smiley
Regards
EmpireCad
Grafter

Welwyn Garden City has also finally got active and a fibre optic cabinet has just been installed over our back garden wall about 20 yards from the old BT cabinet.  The operational date is also given as 30 June on the BT site.  Sorry if this is a silly question but will I see an improvement in BB speeds without subscribing to the PN Fibre option?  We are over 5 kms from our local exchange and just about manage 1.5 Mbps.  I don't really need superfast speed other than for the odd YouTube clip (mainly how to cure a slice at golf!) but it would be nice to get something over 2Meg for a change!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

A big increase as effectively the distance from the cab to the exchange has no affect on speed
EDIT - Only if you subscribe to Fibre otherwise no increase at all
EmpireCad
Grafter

Thanks, Oldjim, for the "superfast" reply.  So, since I presume that the copper wire from the cabinet will not be run under our back garden wall and into our house but rather will run along the roads, I can expect a similar speed to someone who is located the same 200 yards from the main exchange?  If so, Yippee!  Like to take a guess at the sort of speed that might be please?
Cheesy
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I have no idea but probably between 20Mb/s and 30Mb/s
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: EmpireCad
...will I see an improvement in BB speeds without subscribing to the PN Fibre option?

Sorry, I don't think Oldjim's answer took that question into account. Sadly the answer is "no". The presence of the fibre optic cabinet will not affect your connection at all unless you sign up to Fibre - your broadband connection will still go all 5km to the exchange on copper.
David
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Whoops  Embarrassed Embarrassed
Must read every word in future
Sorry for misleading you
EmpireCad
Grafter

Oh well...I was happy for a few minutes there!  At least I have an answer to my query now.  Thanks to both for the clarification.
Angry Sad Embarrassed Cry