cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC availability

Tomreeves84

FTTC availability

Hi there,
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I thought I'd try here! My entire town is being upgraded to FTTC, which is great news, but my little corner of the town isn't? Now I don't expect any answers here, but I was wondering if there was anywhere I could find out why? I'm connected to Dursley cabinet number 25 and I live in the GL11 5BE post code.
The info I found was on the website here http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput and the think broadband site (when I checked my post code my road and the one next to it were the only areas without FTTC).
Now this sounds like the "why not me whinge" but as I work from home once or twice a week I'd love to get a few more ideas on when I'll be able to get an improved speed.
All thoughts and any ideas are greatly appreciated!
17 REPLIES 17
matt_2k34
Grafter

Re: FTTC availability

Hi Tom
Welcome to the forums Smiley
A quick poke around Here puts that cab (I picked a random house number...) at...
We're in your area but we're still assessing whether or not we can upgrade your cabinet. This means you can't order Superfast Fibre. Click here to find out more

and to save you the clicky...
A cabinet may be under review for a number of reasons, including local planning issues, (we still need planning permission in a number of scenarios, or planning due to safety reasons), problems with our underground network or issues with the supply of a suitable power source. Due to these reasons and the length of time it takes to resolve such problems, we are unable to give likely dates when the cabinet will be able to accept orders.

Hope that helps / Makes sense
That's from BT's publicly available information, though. Plusnet might be able to get more info!

edit: B0rked a tag. Fail.
Tomreeves84

Matt,
Massively appreciated. I did the same check and it came back as under review (I'm at number *SCRUBBED*, probably should have put that in the original post!) what got me scratching my head was that as part of the Fastershire project (somebody was paid to come up with that name) they are putting in a lot of fibre in my area. According to my research nearly the entire of my town will have by the end of the year. It's just the new development I'm on seems to have been ignored. A bit disheartening!!! What I'm trying to do is find out why?
So yes, maybe someone from Plusnet has access to some more info.  Smiley
matt_2k34
Grafter

Hi Tom
No problem Smiley
Firstly - Scrub that number! no one needs to know where you are!  Cheesy
If it's a reasonably new build/estate it could be something simple like there's no 'easy' local place to get a decent power source from (the FTTC cabs require their own power feed (which usually means help from nPower/E-On etc), and sometimes it seems to take ages. (Think trying to book a BT engineer, and a Sparky for the same time slot... yeah... Crazy)
It could also be that they're planning on doing something else instead of FTTC in your location (Like FTTP - But that is *highly* unlikely i'd imagine)
But yes Smiley Hopefully someone can be slightly more enlightened than my stab in the dark
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Unfortunately I suspect the answer if it ever came would be the lack of demand from that cabinet. Looking at a map of the area, it seems you are not that far from the exchange, not sure where the cab is, or if there is another that serves the more densely populated area a bit further north, but it will come down to simple economics, BT will prioritise the cabinets that will bring in the most revenue.
Tomreeves84

Ive got a sneaking suspicion that it may have just been when the BDUK funding was allocated. As the estate, well the part that I live on, is on a different cabinet to the fractionally older part which has FTTC now I think we just weren't there when it was required. Would love clarification though.
Also I just found the SamKnows website and the list FTTC on my cabinet as "available in some areas" (I think I'm just going down a rabbit hole) which has confused me even more.
https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SSDSY
For the time being I will just have to look longingly out of the window at all the other houses with Fibre (or move on wi my life)  Cheesy
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

You could get all the people you know on the same cab to register interest in upgrading - might help!  Wink
Tomreeves84

I was planning on bringing it up at the next community meeting but I'm not going to hold my breath. From what I can tell these things move at a glacial pace (a bit like my connection  Grin ) and as the map for Dursley looks so good now I'm sure we will just be forgotten.  Cry
So much for working from home!
[Moderator's note by Mike (Mav):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rule]
Tomreeves84

Quote from: Matt_2k34
Hi Tom
No problem Smiley
Firstly - Scrub that number! no one needs to know where you are!  Cheesy
If it's a reasonably new build/estate it could be something simple like there's no 'easy' local place to get a decent power source from (the FTTC cabs require their own power feed (which usually means help from nPower/E-On etc), and sometimes it seems to take ages. (Think trying to book a BT engineer, and a Sparky for the same time slot... yeah... Crazy)
It could also be that they're planning on doing something else instead of FTTC in your location (Like FTTP - But that is *highly* unlikely i'd imagine)
But yes Smiley Hopefully someone can be slightly more enlightened than my stab in the dark

Stabs in the dark are the best I've got at the moment; I'll take what I can get!  Grin
So does anyone from Plushet frequent this forum? I'm waiting for the moment when a moderator with more info wades in and just clears it all up. Was that subtle enough?  Wink
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

A few staff members do lurk after hours Wink

generally in these cases what you can see is the correct information unfortunately, I will pop an email out tomorrow to see if I can find anything out from the BT Wholesale side of things though, can't make any promises but anything I find I'll put in here
Tomreeves84

Ha, thanks very much! I do appreciate it, even more so as you're here out of hours!
Knowing that they know nothing would also be great.
[Moderator's note by Mike (Mav):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rule]
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

you could also try your local Councillor - either parish or local council etc - they should be able to find out if your council has a view on the matter.
Good luck
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Afternoon Smiley
I've checked all systems and information sources we have available and cannot see any Fibre availability or planned Fibre availability for cab 25, so I've popped an email out to a team within BTW who deal directly with these things, most likely they'll confirm what we can see already and tell us to wait but sometimes we get told the records are incorrect, fingers crossed on it being that, once I get a response I'll be back in touch
Tomreeves84

Thanks for checking, from what you've said it looks like we're in for the long haul.  Cry
I managed to get in contact with BT but they just gave me the usual speel about trying to connect as many folk as possible and all that. Nothing definitive.
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Unfortunately no Fibre Availability plans can be found for your cab at the moment
This doesn't mean it won't happen, just that Openreach haven't given any dates for surveys or to do any work on the cab as of yet, these things can change week to week though, best thing to do would keep checking the BT DSL checker and once it shows up we can get the ball rolling for you