Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC 2704n WiFi and Ethernet network seperation

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

FTTC 2704n WiFi and Ethernet network seperation

Has anyone seen the F@AST 2704n router deciding to separate the WiFi and Ethernet networks?
Normally WiFi and Ethernet connected devices interwork without issue.  After some indeterminate time, the differently connected devices cannot interwork, whilst similarly connected devices continue to interwork and connect to the internet.
After rebooting the router all is OK again.
Anyone seen similar behaviour?  Anyone know of a resolution please?
3 - Firmware version: 7.275.2_F2704N_Plusnet

Ticket 119310633  refers

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

4 REPLIES 4
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: FTTC 2704n WiFi and Ethernet network seperation

Well I'm glad you've got a ticket raised, let's hope it results in Products taking a serious look at the Wifi issues that this router has, and that you don't get any silly first line support comments - like "try rebooting" Roll_eyes
This board is littered (and also some posts on Fibre and ADSL boards) with wireless issues with the 2704n.
I believe I recall seeing a post on a similar issue, but can't be certain. If I discover any related threads, I'll post some links.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

AO,
Thank you for the sympathy!
I've got a 2704n in use on the shaggy dog tale business FTTC service.  Generally it has seemed OK, just two issues seen from time to time.
1. Not accepting the passphrase for wifi (wired devices working OK)
2. WiFi connected devices cannot connect to wired devices
Yesterday when I raised the issue, I thought all wifi connected devices could not reach the wired ones (cannot always get on each PC as users are busy).
Checking today, it looks like the device I use might be the only one with the issue.  User did not reboot router last night when they finished as requested - I cannot get to do that until later today.
The absence of a diagnostic interface is very frustrating!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: Townman
The absence of a diagnostic interface is very frustrating!

You can say that again (and again and.........). I can perfectly understand why they would want a "simple GUI" interface for the "average" user, but to lock it down the way they have, and have removed a lot of the original expert_user interface has done nothing but resulted in a number of malfunctioning aspects. You can't even download a text config to tweak on the v2 firmware as you could on v1.
Someone said there was slightly less memory in this "customised box" compared to the default sagmecom device - I don't know if that's true but I didn't think that memory was that expensive that the cost saving per box taken over all the boxes they will supply will outweigh the extra support costs that will occur because of the problems that result.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Very disappointed by response from business support...
Thanks for getting in contact with Plusnet Business Support Team.
I am sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with the service. We are unaware of any problems which they are facing with the Sagemcom variant you have mentioned.
Our connectivity report shows a session for 3 Days, 2 hours 49 minutes (ongoing) without a drop. With regards to separate networks, this wouldn't be something the router would be able to facilitate, this is entirely dependent on the home user PC settings and the setup chosen.
It sounds probable by the things you have mentioned, the wireless channel and/or environment will need investigating. Each individual has their own network and surroundings within the vicinity of the router. Therefore, our router is built to attain the many, but you may need further devices to accommodate your needs.
Here are a few troubleshooting tips we would recommend in the first instance:
Steps to change wireless channel:

This has nothing to do with wireless channels... I'm sure that this will run fine after a re-boot (when one can be scheduled) until it breaks again!