Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

FTP Servers - any recommendations?

Hi
I need a FTP server but my requirements are pretty steep:
Must be able to run from a usb drive and support relative file paths
Must be able to run as a system service or standalone application
Must be free
I've been trying to get FileZillas FTP server to work, written all the appropriate batch files for my wamp setup etc and guess what.. after all of that it doesn't return a directory listing when running as a service but does when running as an application (Yes I've checked the permissions etc).
So.. any recommendations out there?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
4 REPLIES 4
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Re: FTP Servers - any recommendations?

Quote from: okrzynska
Must be able to run from a usb drive
Do you mean that the FTP service must be able to literally be installed and then run from the USB drive so that you can move it from computer to computer, or that your FTP service must be able to use as its repository a USB drive?
7up
Community Veteran

Must be able to be executed from a usb drive - IE so I can quickly uninstall and move it to another computer just like I di with Apache and MySQL.
Rich
Grafter

How about one of these? http://www.maplin.co.uk/usb-media-adaptor-348024.
No PC needed, just a USB hard disk.
7up
Community Veteran

I was really after some software based FTP server which is free (tall order I know) but I've since found out the root cause of the problem. FZS when running standalone as a program recognises the file paths that are set to be shared for users. When running as a service it doesn't recognise relative file paths (EG \server\files) but instead expects drive letters at the beginning. Luckily it works with a configuration file in the same directory which is made up of xml data so I should be able to make a small application which will re-write the filepaths and put the current drive letter there, save it and then run FZS.
Now I just need to get one of my other machines running to actually do it..  Shocked (I run my programming environment in a VM)