Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FREE Photo/Image software information please

FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

FREE Photo/Image software information please

I have a lot of photos on my HDD, many of which are "very similar"..to the next one in the listings.

In the "professional world" of photography, I have seen "light tables". where a large quantitiy of photographs are shown laid out, and selection can be made, either to dispose of individuals, or to select (say) half a dozen for further scruitiny,

I am wondering if there is a similar "software" solution to the problem, where I can open up a folder, with say, 100 pics in, and it will/can display them six at a time on screen like this.

thumbnails - tulips.png

and then be able to compare similar pics, eventually choosing the one(s) to dispose of or keep.

I know that GIMP and a few others do have a "thumbnail" display option, but they all show only small size pics ( which is, obviously , why they are called "thumbnails". ) but they are not of sufficient clarity to make decisions on whether to keep or dispose of them compared to the next one.

The above pic was made using a Desktop publisher program, ( six pics pasted on a landscape A4 )  for explanation of what I am looking for, and is not a suitable way to process hundreds of pics ! ! !

Does anyone know of such FREE software in the Photo/image Editing world, Please let me know.

Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: FREE Photo/Image software information please

Fix

@shutter 

https://www.darktable.org/about/ never used it but it does seem to have a 'light table' function

A Package is available for Ubuntu so should work with Mint

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: FREE Photo/Image software information please

@MisterW  Thank you very much for the quick response.

I have installed it from the Synaptic Package Manger, and done a quick check, by importing a dozen or so pics. and it shows them well,

Just the thing I`m looking for.

Many thanks