cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FREE Kaspersky Security Scan Launched

Steve
Seasoned Pro

FREE Kaspersky Security Scan Launched

Kaspersky Labs released a new product on the market, called Kaspersky Security Scan. It is a free scanner that retrieves malware information straight from the cloud, in order to be able to find the latest threats.
The new tool is designed as an on-demand scanner that can check your PC for active infections, software vulnerabilities and other security problems. It can also detect if a firewall or antivirus solution is available on the system.
Kaspersky Security Scan does not replace a full-fledged security suite since it does not offer advanced, real-time protection. Additionally, it will not fix, modify or delete any threats or security problems detected. However, it should work well with any antivirus solution.
The constant connection to the ‘cloud-based’ Kaspersky Security Network service allows Kaspersky Security Scan to find the latest threats. By default, it runs three regular scans per week.

Source
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
5 REPLIES 5
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: FREE Kaspersky Security Scan Launched

sounds like that could be interesting.............BUT......
I wonder, when I see this sort of stuff, being advertised by the "top" internet security companies.... if it actually "does" what it says..... or whether there is some inbuilt program that "finds" problems that only they can solve, if you install their software...
I mean.... if it (your computer) hasn`t been infected by the sort of stuff it is supposed to look for and find.... how can you be so sure that it is not infected? or if it IS infected? 
sort of double edged sword stuff....
#
#There are a lot of offers of a free scan on software (and other) sites.... that will come up with a couple of dozen threats which can be dealt with if you download and install xxxxxx prog from the "scanners" software company...  (yes I did put double N in the middle of that word.... !)
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Steve
Kaspersky Security Scan ... does not offer advanced, real-time protection. Additionally, it will not fix, modify or delete any threats or security problems detected. However, it should work well with any antivirus solution.

So in fact it joins a long list of similar offerings from other antivirus manufacturers.  Ho hum.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

As a long time Kaspersky user - my opinion - what a waste of time.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes I agree.
I use it too (mainly because of the free license Barclays give with their internet banking) Smiley
I suspect if it does find something, it'll make it really easy to whack in your card details to 'upgrade' to the full copy Roll_eyes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Useless for Apple OSX of course !!!
I use Sophos & Clamxav, which in addition to scanning whole HDD's on request, sit in the background and check all my emails, downloads, and sites I visit etc.
They do a good job too, I get an alert perhaps once a week, usually a "threat" contained in an email which has already been identified as [SPAM].
And thereby assigned to my Junk or Spam folders

Doing a scan now !!