cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FF 3.5.19 Crashing

Mav
Fixes: 515

FF 3.5.19 Crashing

Is it just me or is it coincidence that since Firefox 4 was released (and I haven't upgraded) I have found FF3 to be slower than it was and now crashes frequently?
Until the add-on compatibility issues have been addressed I want to stay with V3 but has something been 'done' to 'ecourage' us to upgrade to v4?
Anyone else feeling this way?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

19 REPLIES 19
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: FF 3.5.19 Crashing

I upgraded and my addons mostly worked - only the Kaspersky addons failed and that has been fixed.
However I had one big gripe - with Windows 7 Aero - the text in the menu bar (File Edit etc) was almost unreadable.
So I installed the Firefox 3 theme for Firefox 4
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Speed is the same - but I'm on FF 3.6.17 - perhaps you need a small upgrade?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Many people installed Firefox because they heard Internet Explorer was insecure but some major security holes have been discovered in older versions of Firefox.  So, ironically, if you have an old version of Firefox you might well be worse off than if you had stuck with Internet Explorer. 
Steve
Seasoned Pro

True reedrichards but Firefox Is patched long before Internet Explorer, In fact there Is patches coming In windows tomorrow for IE. Obviously you need to keep up-to date with FF for the patches as-well.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Steve
.... Obviously you need to keep up-to date with FF for the patches as-well.

So obviously you should not be running versions 3.5.19 (Mav) or 3.6.17 (Jeremy).
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

FF4 is not a patched FF3.x

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Mav

Quote from: ReedRichards
Quote from: Steve
.... Obviously you need to keep up-to date with FF for the patches as-well.

So obviously you should not be running versions 3.5.19 (Mav) or 3.6.17 (Jeremy).

All I get when I select Update is the offer for v4.
Just checked and there is now only one add-on that isn't compaitible and that's to do with DivX so not a worry.
TBH, having installed FF4 on the laptop, I still prefer the look of FF3. Still, no real reason not to upgrade now.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

If you really want the latest patched version of Firefox 3 go here http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html .  Jeremy is running the latest patched version of Firefox 3 so apologies, Jeremy, my earlier statement was wrong.  However if you visit the link it says "Firefox 3.6.x will be maintained with security and stability updates for a short amount of time. All users are strongly encouraged to upgrade to Firefox 4."
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is also the impending deadline issued by Google to withdraw support on 1st August for their applications, such as Gmail etc, on versions of Firefox earlier than 3.6.  Huh
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/06/01/google_apps_to_cut_support_for_older_browsers/
Mav

I've upgraded to 4.0.1.
So far things running smoothly - no jitters when scrolling or entering text as was previously happening and, more interstingly, no crashes - yet.
Still wondering whether Mozilla actually borked the previous version to encourage the upgrade Undecided

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Well Mav there Is this article
Mozilla details plans to kill Firefox 3.5
Computerworld - Mozilla plans to push 12 million users of the aged Firefox 3.5 to a newer version next month by taking the unprecedented step of automatically upgrading their browser.
Firefox 3.5, which debuted in mid-2009, is already on life-support: Mozilla gave users their last version 3.5 security patches three weeks ago.
But in June, Mozilla will use another strategy to make Firefox 3.5 "being dead," as one page on the company's site said.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9216752/Mozilla_details_plans_to_kill_Firefox_3.5
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Mrs has just dumped her XP laptop on me, as she just tried to open Firefox, and it announced that to had been (without warning) upgraded to version 5.0, and she was having a panic about the list of incompatible plug-ins that had been detected.  Fortunately nothing serious, just Norton and other useless Windows stuff.
So apparently Firefox V5.0 is here !  Crazy          Firefox V4 didn't last long then !  Shocked
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/new/
Steve
Seasoned Pro

@Purleigh, That's the beauty of Linux though, You don't get what you don't want, I have updates to FF5 In my mint update but haven't accepted them yet.
barky
Grafter

Quote from: purleigh
So apparently Firefox V5.0 is here !   Crazy          Firefox V4 didn't last long then !   Shocked
new versions of firefox now come every 3 months -- differences between versions are smaller --- firefox 7 final release will be here before 2012!