Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External drive.... bad signs?

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

External drive.... bad signs?

My external drive has started to beep on average once or twice per day and then there is a sound of the heads clanging. The thing is only about 6 months old too.
Should I be worried?
I haven't even used 1/5 of its capacity either Sad (500GB drive less than 85GB used!)
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
7 REPLIES 7
paulh
Rising Star

Re: External drive.... bad signs?

eek
pierre_pierre
Grafter

what make? I think some Seagates  have a problem and seagate are offering free replacements, worth a google
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The Seagate problem was a firmware problem where the drive suddenly wouldn't read. This sounds rather more serious.
You could raise a question with the drive manufacturer but the other possibility is the drive holder. Does the manufacturer give any information on what  the beeps mean
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Hard drives do fail and a small minority fail quite early.  Whilst some hard drives are noisier than others, unusual noises from a hard drive are almost always a sign of impending drive failure.  Hard drives don't have any form of speaker to make a deliberate beeping noise but if the drive heads accidentally come into contact with the rapidly spinning disk you can get a squealing noise that is a bit like a high-pitched beep (or maybe the caddy can emit a warning beep).  The most important thing is to ensure you have copies of your files in another location so if your hard drive fails you don't lose them. 
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

The drive is made by Buffalo. Not sure what the exact model is as it doesn't say and the box is buried in the 'server' room lol. I'll try to dig it out later.
I've never known a drive to beep before so I'm assuming its the controller inside the box which the drive is attached to. Either way I'm concerned as I've got only one other drive to backup everything onto - and that one is supposed to be knackered too! I mean so knackered it couldn't play MP3s without being glitchy. Lately however without being the main OS drive ti seems to work rather well as a slave since its been formatted so it could of been an undetected virus (I was using AVG at the time lol).
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'd say it'd be well worth digging it out along with the receipt if you still have it, that way you can either take it back to the shop you got it or if no joy there you may be able to arrange an RMA directly from the manufacturer's site. I was able to do this with a WD hard drive recently, and received a replacement in short order. I'd highly recommend them on the strength of this, in fact.
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29