cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Hard Drive with Corrupted files

Rourkefamily
Grafter

External Hard Drive with Corrupted files

I have a Maxtor external hard drive that I use to back up the various computers in the house.
Went to use it yesterday to find a number of the files / directories are corrupted. Tried to delete without success.
So far I have carried out a disk clean up, Error check disc and a defrag. Still not allowing me to delete files.
As all the files are back ups, I don't need to recover them. But the corrupted files seems to be stopping me using the EHD as normal.
Any suggestions on how to repair?
8 REPLIES 8
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: External Hard Drive with Corrupted files

Just format the thing. If that fails then I reckon it's the USB hardware at fault rather than the drive. Maybe best taking it out first and trying it directly inside a machine to see if it can be read / written to / from.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

If it's a newer external drive, then it's usually possible to access the SMART data over the USB connection, which might indicate if the drive is likely to fail. Seagate SeaTools for Windows should be able to do it.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Have you tried "RECUVA" ?  a free prog.... you may be able to see the file(s) condition,... and possibly delete them via the RECUVA prog.?
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would normally post a helpful suggestion on how to resolve this, but if I do, 'shutter' will go to great lengths to express that my simple solution is only for 'geeks' and will proceed to start another flame war having not understood or correctly read what was said.
So I won't bother !   Angry
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I think you should ditch the hard drive.  When they go wrong you may be able to engineer a temporary fix but they very often go wrong again.  You may need your backup one day and you don't want that to be the day you discover your hard drive has gone wrong again.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: purleigh
I would normally post a helpful suggestion on how to resolve this, but if I do, 'shutter' will go to great lengths to express that my simple solution is only for 'geeks' and will proceed to start another flame war having not understood or correctly read what was said.
So I won't bother !   Angry

To be fair, there was no need for what was happening in my thread was there. Shutter was simply pointing out the obvious to you folks who were bashing. As for a simple solution, that 'other' OS certainly isn't.
Now purleigh, lets not do the Win vs debate again eh? Just accept that some people PREFER windows and move on. No need to sulk and refuse help elsewhere like you have here.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
journeys
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I've a couple of Maxtor externals (actually 3), the disks are OK, but the 'Y' cable has packed up on two of them, use the one remaining good cable and all 3 disks work OK.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If a disk is a bit dodgy, you should get the data off (if you can) and bin the disk as your data is more valuable than any disk.
Does the disk work with a second computer?
Is the disk mains powered or does it suck its power from a USB connector?
BTW I agree with "Purleigh".  Lips_are_sealed
Quote from: purleigh
So I won't bother !  Angry

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."