Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Hard Drive failure?

bubbalicious
Grafter

External Hard Drive failure?

Heelllpppp!!
I am trying to finish backing some data to my external hard drive ready for my laptop to go away for some repairs and it has been running fine all evening but now it's as if my laptop isn't recognizing it at all.
The HDD is whizzing, lights are coming on and I have checked everything is connected okay, restarted laptop etc but still nothing! I've looked in device manager and the driver etc is still installed.  I have changed the USB cable, is there anything else I can try?
The laptop goes away on Tuesday and I need to back up some photos I have just taken, I would use the DVD to back them up but that's broken too! 
Other than what I have tried is there anything else I can try to get it to work?
Any advice as ever - much appreciated Roll_eyes

8 REPLIES 8
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: External Hard Drive failure?

When you go to "my computer" / windows explorer..... do you get it listed as another HDD..... C:/ my computer      D:/ dvd Drive    E:/ external HDD?
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I've seen a few external HDD's lately that failed. In every case it was the box's electronics and/or external power supply.
Dismantling the case and checking the "bare" drive (usually SATA these days) they were fine in every case.
You can buy boxes for mounting a drive in for a few quid, or a "caddy" or adapter for even less, depends if you want something temporary/flexible or more permanent.
Failing that just buy a new drive or a large USB memory stick (or several).
bubbalicious
Grafter

Cheers peeps for helping me out - again!!!!
I looked in computer and the Hdd is not showing.
I used a USB memory stick today and that too, after 20mins of using stopped working!
Is it just me or could it be more than just coincidence that both fail - needless to say I am not going to insert anything else for now!! i am having laptop issues, is there something that could cause these things within the laptop - I tried to do some research myself and I think the motherboard is what these all attach too - does that make sense???
So I've spent the day emailing my photos etc to myself - that was fun!! Cheesy
I borrowed a friends laptop tonight to check it isn't just my laptop and neither the HDD or USB stick are showing on that one too!!
The idea of changing the caddy etc myself terrifies me - and anyone who knows me would probably agree, I seem to be going through a spate of bad computer luck!
Instead I am taking the HDD to a local 'independent'  computer shop tomorrow and the chappie has promised he will do all he can to retrieved the data on the drive if the HDD has failed and replace the Caddy if that is all it needs - fingers crossed it works- and doesn't bankrupt me!!
Thanks for the advice. Kiss
shutter
Community Veteran

Get your friend to download the Linux Mint 8 Helena OS, and burn it to a CD rom.... it can then be used as a "live" OS from the CDrom drive, and you change your boot sequence to boot from CD drive before HDD.... Plug in your caddy with the (Dodgy???) hdd and when  Mint has booted up see if your external HDD has shown up on there.... If so, you should be able to access files and pics to transfer to a USB stick ....LIkewise for the (dodgy???) USB stick you ran for 20 mins.... plug it in and see if it "appears"
HPsauce
Pro

I doubt that will do anything, if it doesn't work in another laptop it almost certainly has a terminal problem.
The local computer guy should be able to get it sorted, if that is possible.
(this is the sort of thing I do all the time)
shutter
Community Veteran

I only put the suggestion forward, because it DID work for me.... I had a HDD failure in my laptop, bought a new one, and downloaded Linux, as previously mentioned, . had a caddy, and inserted the duff HDD, but it would not recognise it.  so I put the duff HDD back into the laptop and put the good hdd on the caddy, I then used the Linux Live CD in the CD drive (booted from that) and was able to acces both the duff HDD in the laptop, and the new HDD in the usb caddy... transferred my files and photos no problem....
bubbalicious
Grafter

Hi, peeps so sorry not to have responded to all your kind suggestions but my laptop has been away for repairs again after they determined that the laptop motherboard caused the damage to the HDD and the USB stick and a card reader!
Luckily the local computer shop was able to transfer most of my data from my damaged HDD to a new Hdd and today I got the message that Sony have written off the laptop all together!!
Cheers peeps as always much appreciated
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: HPsauce
The local computer guy should be able to get it sorted, if that is possible.
(this is the sort of thing I do all the time)

Good news that he could help.  Smiley