Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External HDD @USB

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

External HDD @USB

I frequently download files using Linux, transfer them to USB or an external HDD and then access them using windows, assuming of course they are compatible with windows, equally some files used on windows are transferred and then accessed using Linux, the question is this, am I asking for any problems accessing a external HDD or USB using different OS or is this irrelevant ?
We are born into history and history is born into us.
5 REPLIES 5
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: External HDD @USB

pretty much irrelevant what OS you use on an external or network drive store,
the only problems your likely to get is dust in the usb ports causeing connection problems and wear n tear problems on the ports &cable where its being moved from one machine to another,
if possible connect the drive to a network point (some routers can do this) and just remote access as required
Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Is this on the same machine or separate machines?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Have both Linux & windows 7 on two computers and used a USB memory stick to transfer stuff across both  computers, I asked the question as the sandisk memory stick was showing as formatted for FAT32 and a short time later became  unrecognised by both windows and Linux.
In short I just wondered if I had caused it to become unreadable due to the way I had been using it.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

ahh I had that happen when the kids were hot plugging one, if you don't stop it and wait for the port to power down (ive noticed sometimes it can take a while) then it can get electrically damaged.
but getting one that you plug into the router port and leaving it there would get rid of the damage from plugging/unplugging the device.
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Why not use a sharing protocol to access one computer from another?
Alternatively, you could install something like Dropbox and access files from any computer?
Be aware that the USA can see their contents, though.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."