Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Drive puzzle

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

External Drive puzzle

Recently purchased a external hard drive with USB and eSata ports, Using the usb cable no problems the drive works ok but using the sata cable it is a different matter. The drive shows as removable disk and when accessed the message comes up no disk in drive, please insert disk.
I was advised no additional driver was required for windows  XP and the drive was pre formatted NTSC, I would be grateful for any advice on this matter. I Have tried switching the drive on prior to starting windows but windows will not load and just hangs. The computer is up to date and there is no problems with any other software/hardware.
I would be grateful for opinions on this. Device manager shows no errors with the drive switched on
We are born into history and history is born into us.
3 REPLIES 3
samuria
Grafter

Re: External Drive puzzle

In disk manager in admin tools\computer managment\disk manager can it see the drive and does its show a partition? If it doesnt when connected via sata can you recreate a partition and reformat?
I suspect its down to how the drive is formated and accessed if you format a drive with lba and look at it without that set it shows up wrong. I assume you mean formated ntfs
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

sorry I did mean NTFS. I do not know much about computers so I am not sure what you mean by recreate a partition ?
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Hi,
Back again, silly as it sounds it appears to have sorted itself out. Disk manager is showing external F (healthy) 465.75 GB NTFS and files are transferring both ways ok. I am using a ASUS P5N-E SLI  socket 775 so I was concerned when I saw some comments on websites regarding problems others had with this board not recognising e-sata external drives but in all fairness this appeared to be linked with Vista rather than XP.
Anyway thanks again for your help.