cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extension to XP & Zone Alarm Problem

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Extension to XP & Zone Alarm Problem

I got caught by the XP Update/Zone Alarm problem, so I know the "cure" (set "Internet" level in ZA to Medium). Trouble is, before I found the "cure", I uninstalled ZA, and re-installed it. I then found the "cure" and treated my pc.
Now when I boot up my pc, I get a warning that ZA isn't working. I right-click on the ZA icon in the bar at the bottom of the screen, and restart ZA, and the warning goes away. Trouble is, every time I boot up, I get the warning again.
Without getting rid of either XP or ZA, is there a way of preventing this warning?
Thanks in advance
7 REPLIES 7
bobboulby
Grafter

Re: Extension to XP & Zone Alarm Problem

Is the warning from the Windows Security Centre? I used to get a message saying that my firewall was turned off when ZoneAlam was actually working. I think it was because Windows was checking for a firewall before ZoneAlarm had finished loading.
If it is this, you can get round the problem by going in to the Security Centre, click on "Change the way Security Centre alerts me" and un-tick the firewall Alert Setting.
Bob
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Bobboulby. That did the trick.
samuria
Grafter

You shouldnt lower the security instead add the dns to safe network that is the other work around.
You can now download a fix from
http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/pressReleases/2008/LossOfInternetAccessIssue.html
bobboulby
Grafter

Quote from: samuria
You shouldnt lower the security

This isn't lowering any of the security settings in ZoneAlarm. It's just turning off the firewall alert in the Windows Security Centre (which seems to give false alerts). You can still check that your firewall is running by looking for the ZoneAlarm icon in the system tray.
Bob
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: penneck
so I know the "cure" (set "Internet" level in ZA to Medium).

Thats what samuria was referring to Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
bobboulby
Grafter

Sorry my mistake.
Bob
realafrica
Dabbler

In my humble opinion there is no need to run Win XP firewall, as it's not much good at all and ZA is so much better. There could be conflicts running 2 software firewalls together. I should always make sure the Windows rubbish is turned off; same goes for their One Care AV too.
Better to use 'grown up' security software rather than Microsoft's attempts.