Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extension from "master socket"

FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Extension from "master socket"

Generally speaking, ISP`s recomment that you have your router plugged into the "master socket" where the service enters the house... this is not convenient for many people... and various means have been used to relocate the router to a more "favourable" position. 

In my case, I have used twisted pair cable, to extend the service into a more convenient position for me, and for my router.

this gives a better coverage throughout the house on WIFI... but also makes it possible to connect using the recommended cable ...

A friend of mine, who lives 300 miles away... has a tower machine that he uses on WIFI because he is not very good with his hands, to diy socket extensions... and his router is somewhere in the hall... so he only has a "fair" signal.

He is on VIrgin for his ISP... but I don`t know if that is "normal" phone wires or cable to his house... 

is it possible to make an extension, internally from his "master socket" so that he can move his router nearer to his computer. and connect to it via the proper cable.....

( he is 76 years old, so he doesn`t want to be sitting at the bottom of the stairs to use his computer ! ! ! )..

Any help or guidance, will have to be passed on to him via email... so please make it simple ! ! .

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Extension from "master socket"

@shutter - What about connecting the router at the source and plugging the output into a Power Line adaptor, he can then correct directly to the router using another adapter and dispense with the issue of a poor or limited signal. With this approach there is no fiddling with wires and is as easy plugging in a plug.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Anonymous  OK... thanks for that idea... have heard of them.... but never seen one... so I go to ebay, to see what they are and what they cost.... 

came across this ....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DEVOLO-9392-POWERLINE-DLAN-1200-WiFi-AC-PASS-THROUGH-TWIN-LAN-STARTER-KIT-/311214778417?hash=item4875d8a831:g:a8AAAOSwuMFUjHCf

And if I order before Dec 22nd it will arrive in time for Xmas ! ! !..  

seriously, though... doing a search on ebay is not so easy... most of them seem to be available from the U.S.  so have the two flat pins for the wall socket..

recommendation please.for the cheapest UK  pair/starter kit ... high speed gaming spec not needed ... just does surfing ... doesn`t even watch video/films  ! ! ..

Anonymous
Not applicable

There are these from Amazon, and with pass though there's no loss of power sockets either.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Fix

@shutter Have a look out for the BT Comtrend ones, BT used to include them in their TV package and so are usually plenty on eBay for less than £10. They may not be the fastest ones available, but may be the best value. Performance will depend on the internal mains wiring, but worth a try for not much money.

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

@shutter wrote:

He is on VIrgin for his ISP... but I don`t know if that is "normal" phone wires or cable to his house... 

It isn't 'normal' phone wires as VM stopped offering ADSL service a couple of years ago. They sold that business to TalkTalk IIRC.

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's correct VM use coaxial wire for their DSL service.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Mustrum  Thanks for that link... I am sure he will be able to sort something from there...