Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extending Home Network to shed

dgreen007
Grafter

Extending Home Network to shed

Hi,
I have converted my garden shed into an office and I want to be able to run my network from there.
I have connected a cat5 cable into my Netgear wireless router which is in the house and run it down to the shed (approx 80 feet).
Could somebody advise me as to the best way everything should be set up.
I have been told that I will need a hub in the shed but I thought it would be ok to simply plug the cat5 directly into the laptop which will be in  the shed.
Are there any other issues I need to take into account.
Thanks Undecided
23 REPLIES 23
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Extending Home Network to shed

You only need a hub (actually a switch is better) if you intend to network any other devices. So you can just plug the end of the cable into your laptop.
An alternative could have just been a wireless connection - did you actually try that as you should be within reach of the signal (as long as you don't have too many walls in the way).
Just in case you were thinking... don't leave your laptop in the shed both from a security point of view (theft) and leaving it out overnight could cause issues, especially when damp.
dgreen007
Grafter

Peter,
Thanks for that advice. I have had the shed fully insulated, do you think this would help (obviously not from a theft point of view :P)
I did try the wireless option but it was pretty slow and frustrating.
I was thinking of taking the laptop into a sauna which has been built inside the shed but this probably wouldn't do it any good Cry
Cheers
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

While it may be insulated, it could still get cold - should be OK if you have a laptop bag to put it into.
For the wireless signal, did you try the different channels on the wireless config as changing that can sometimes make a difference especially if next doors wireless is using the same channel as you.
dgreen007
Grafter

Hi Peter,
Thanks,
Not sure how this is done.
To be honest, I've never heard about these channel, please explain how to do this.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

When configuring the wireless settings on the router you can normally select the channel it will use - the selection will be a drop-down showing 1 -> 11. Just select a different channel, save the settings and try the connection. Your laptop will automatically pick up the channel the router is using.
The channel actually selects a frequency band that will be used and some frequency bands are better than others in some environments. Most routers select a default of channel 1 or 6 so if you have other wireless routers around all on channel 6 they can interfere with each other and reduce the range. I'm not sure if the Netgear you have shows what other wireless routers exist and what channel they are using. If it does pick a channel that is less used
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

I agree. Wireless is the way to go.
You don't want a lightening bolt hitting your cat5 cable... Wireless isn't at risk!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

He has already stated wireless is a problem and changing the channel may not make any difference.
No idea where you got the lightning issue from as the cable is normally both sheilded and enclosed in a plastic sleave.
samuria
Grafter

There is also ethernet over mains see http://www.lordpercy.com/solwise_homeplug_ethernet_over_mains.htm
very simple I assume you have power to the shed or can use a extension
MickKi
Grafter

Quote from: Peter
You only need a hub (actually a switch is better) if you intend to network any other devices. So you can just plug the end of the cable into your laptop.

The hub may have been suggested to act as a cheap repeater and increase the power of the signal, as it degrades over long distances (greater than 100 meters).  Of course all the hubs that I have managed to find are 10BaseT (not that it matters with up to 8Mbps ADSL, but if you run a server in the house/shed you will notice some drop in speed).
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

The OP said the shed was 80 feet from the house (25 meters) so not an issue with cable length.
MickKi
Grafter

Sure, but did whoever suggested a hub know that?
chillypenguin
Grafter

Hub is just a generic term. They mean what we would call today a switch.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Mostly correct. There are Ethernet hubs and Ethernet switches about but Ethernet hubs are an increasingly rare breed. Virtually all 'hubs' offered for sale are USB or the like.
The differences between an Ethernet hub and a switch are well documented elsewhere and all you are likely to buy these days is a switch...making all I have just said irrelevent Crazy
Well it is only 8:17am.
...and not an apostrophe in sight Wink
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Off Topic
"l 'hubs' of"
But how does the not sure know the difference or doesn't it matter

Back on topic