Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extend a WiFi network

journeys
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Extend a WiFi network

I'd like to run my home WiFi network to include a new office I want to set up in one of my barns. Distance is about 70 meters, ground is concrete so putting cable in is not an option, The barn is 3 phase different power supply to my home office so power line adaptors are not viable. I've a couple of Netgear WN2000RPT, which don't quite make the distance, overhead cables are not an option as quite hefty plant moves in and out of the yard.
Was thinking in terms of a couple of small devices with a beamed signal running into switch which could be mounted on an external wall.
Am open to suggestions.
11 REPLIES 11
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Extend a WiFi network

Do the "spare" netgear routers have external antenna? 
If so,... you might be able to  use the "half a bean can" reflector on each... and see if the "talk to each other"... over the distance.... IF it works,... perhaps you could mount them in "Tupperware" type boxes on the outside walls of each building...
Similar to this....  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tonZeKP-Mi4
jack21
Grafter

This link re point to point wireless may help....
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopSearch.asp?CategoryID=483
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Realisticaly you are looking at 2 high gain external antenna's pointing at each other, then wired to your selected wifi router, some routers have external connectors or ports on board for them, or you need to look at if you can hack them to allow an external antenna.
journeys
Aspiring Pro

@shutter, thanks video proved interesting and gave me some ideas.
@HB, thanks any recommendations on specific antennae?
@Jack, Do you know with  the Ubiquiti NanoStation Loco M2  do I read this right, it just plugs into an Ethernet port at both ends?
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Wink  You`re welcome !
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

You could well benefit from looking at the Options and Technical data on the Solwise site.
NOTE:  I've linked directly to the outdoor section of the site.
The wireless options should work OK as long as the traffic between the two ends is not significant.  Another option might be the Laserlink on a short mast to get it above any traffic?  Gets pricey though at £1800
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

journeys
Aspiring Pro

@Maurice:- thank you, solwise looks good
kgk86
Grafter

What you need is a pair of these http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-outdoor-bridging-el-enh500.html and a pair of brackets
Give them different IP addresses, set them up in bridge mode using mac address and WPA2-PSK for authentication.
You will need to set them both on the same channel.
Then plug them in at either end and you'll be away!
Grab yourself some external Cat5 aswell as internal cable won't stand UV penetration and quickly kills the outer sheath.
Source: I install these units on a daily basis for exactly the same application you are trying to achieve
jack21
Grafter

@journeys
Just an ethernet connection at both ends ? that is the case, except that each end of the link will need power from somewhere. In fact, yes, that particular one seems gets its power from an adapter via ethernet.
I've helped a farmer witth similar requirements.....the distance is around 1km....on his setup his LAN connects into a small, mains-powered adapter, then an ethernet cable up to the tx/rx.....at the remote end, an ethernet cable down from the tx/rx to an identical mains-powered adapter, and then an ethernet cable as his remote LAN.
I've never climbed up there, so I don't know make/model etc, and neither does the farmer.
However, there has to be clear line of sight.....in his case, over the years, trees have begun to partially obscure the path and they need trimming!
journeys
Aspiring Pro

Update:- ordered 2 x EL-ENS500 from solwise, installed and working - am impressed with hardware.
WTF
Grafter

I just got a BT WiFi Hotspot 500 kit (£82.38 from Viking Direct) - it's one of those kits that networks over the power cables but it also creates a WiFi hotspot.  The reviews were uniformly excellent and I have to say, It was literally plug and play and works really well.
The problems we had were that streaming on the TV was very unreliable as it was at the edge of the WiFi range and also that, when my missus works from home, she likes to sit in the kitchen (even though the router lives in a perfectly nice study) which is even further away from the router than the TV and is through an additional (previously external) wall.  The missus has been blaming PlusNet for all her connectivity problems and giving me all kinds of grief so I (eventually - it's only been 2 years ;)) had to do something.
This BT kit is great: the TV is now cabled into it and streaming has been flawless and the WiFi hotspot has a 5 bar signal in the kitchen.
Job done.
The most complicated part was getting it delivered: the courier refused to leave it with a neighbour 3 days on the trot, despite me clearing it with the company and leaving a note.  Finally, the company cancelled the order and placed a new order for delivery to my office.  Next day, the kit was left at reception for me and .. a second one was left with my neighbour  Roll_eyes