Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expanding a modem router?

PunKrocker
Grafter

Expanding a modem router?

Hello,
I have a Netgear DG834 modem / router, works fine.
I would like to expand it to access a low powered server I am going to fit in the loft space.  Can I expand the 4 ports and if so what do I need, a switch or hub, and does it need to be powered? Huh
cheers
12 REPLIES 12
Not applicable

Re: Expanding a modem router?

Yes it needs to be self powered.
Its pretty hard to buy a hub these days - most devices you would buy would be switches.
Hubs repeat all packets to all ports except the port they received the packet from.
Switches only forward it to the port it should be delivered to.
On a small network, the performance difference would be minimal - so don't worry if you find a hub cheaper than a switch.
Out of preference though, a switch would be the way to go.
PunKrocker
Grafter

Excellent, thanks for the quick reply Grin
I found many on Ebay at around 10 - £15, I tried to find a site with info on setup but not really found anything useful.  Does it just connect into one of the 4 ports in my Netgear with a normal network cable?  Sorry for all the questions but I have a friend who has loads of cables just need to know what kind before I call on a few favours owed.
thanks
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

The is no set-up.
As you say, just connect the new switch to one of your existing netgear ports with an Ethernet cable and you then have 7 more ports to play with.
PunKrocker
Grafter

Excellent news, thanks very much for the help 😉
cheers
chillypenguin
Grafter

I recommend one of these;
http://www.netgear.co.uk/network_switch_fs605.php
It will even match your switch.
No set up required and I believe that it auto switches so will not require a cross over cable.
I was running one on my network, until I ran out of ports so got a FS108 off of e-bay (8 port version but in a metal case.)
Chilly
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

I've had lock-up problems with the 8 port version mentioned above when doing system backups over the network (i.e. several GBs of data continuously) so would not recommend it.
chillypenguin
Grafter

Mine runs like a dream, in a cupboard, so not even an idea place (risk of overheating). So I am not sure that I would write them all off, for the sake of one dodgy one.
We even use them in some configurations of the medicals system that I support. And knowing the testing that they have been put through for that, give me a lot of confidence in the product.
With the metal cased FS10x there is more than one version;
First image is the newer (Recommended) version;
PunKrocker
Grafter

Thanks again for the info, I will look into Netgear as the router has been perfect.
cheers
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I've got a major issue with the durability of the Netgear switches in the metal cases... If you drop them they make a hole in the carpet.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
chillypenguin
Grafter

Also best to wear steel top caps boots when handling them. The Plastic cased versions are far safer.
Chilly
samuria
Grafter

Not all switches /hubs are equal with some you may need to use a cross over cable and with some there may be a special port for uplink or even a switch on the side.
So take care buying old ones most modern ones should pick up the correct connection
PunKrocker
Grafter

All points noted and thanks again folks.