Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excel Help

home99
Grafter

Excel Help

Hi,
I am trying to lock part of a formula so the bit in bold remains the same when I drag the fill box down a column  D3*(1+J20)where D3 is my savings amount and 1+J20 is a percentage that will never change, ie 5%.  I was positive it was simply clicking in the part I want to remain the same and then press F4 but it aint working.
Having just completed an ECDL I am trying to act on what I have learnt (or not in this case).
Regards
Dave
3 REPLIES 3
Not applicable

Re: Excel Help

Put a dollar sign in front of the parameter you want to remain static.
D3*(1+$J$20)
If you only wanted to ensure the column remained the same, you'd only dollar the J, If you wanted the row to remain, you'd dollar only the 20. For both, dollar both!
Another way is to give the cell a name, and then use that as a reference. It sometimes makes things clearer when looking at complex formulae. In this case though, I think the dollar method is simplist and is perfectly sufficient.
home99
Grafter

Many thanks James_H, it has been so frustrating trying to work it out.  The good news it works and does exactly what I require.  The bad news is that my shares aren't doing well.
Once again cheers for your quick reply
Dave
Not applicable

No worries - the only shares I've ever had that did well were the PN ones, and BT wanted them eventually.
Glad to be of help. Wink