Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excel 2007.....struggling with charts

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Excel 2007.....struggling with charts

I'm really struggling to construct a line chart Crazy Cry  I have tried to follow various tutorials, but without success.
I have data details set out in three columns, each with its heading. Cols 1 and 2 have the x and y axes' values. whilst col 3 contains the data to be plotted.
Sorry if I seem stupid, but it's not often that I use charts. So please help with really simple instructions,
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
12 REPLIES 12
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Excel 2007.....struggling with charts

Can you explain a bit more, please.  My idea of a "line chart" is to plot the x data against the y data but you have three colums of data.  Are you actually seeking some sort of 3D representation showing the parameter in your third column as a function of x and y?
Luzern
Hero

You have revealed even more my inadequacies. Embarrassed
It has nothing to to with the subject of this link,] http://www.internode.on.net/media/images/internode-adsl2-dist07.jpg but what I want to achieve is of the same format. Revising my thoughts the x axis will have the values from cols 1/2 and y those from col 3.
I hope I am not falling of the end of the world, but at my age, who knows, Wink
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

What you have in the illustration is four x vs y line charts with the areas under each chart shown as a coloured block.  I don't know how to do the coloured blocks and I don't know how to do two different axes on the same chart, if indeed it is possible to do either of these in Excel.  I can tell you how to construct a basic x-y line chart if that would help, otherwise you'll have to wait until somebody else comes along. 
Luzern
Hero

Sorry I was not clear in my post. Please ignore all the colouring  etc etc,
What I want is to enterthe values of col 3 on the y axis and place them at the appropriate spot on the x axis, which as in the example is to show the numbers of cols 1 and 2.
johpal
Grafter

I hesitate to judge your capabilities, but have you tried this? http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/adding-an-excel-chart-to-a-word-2007-document.html
It does appear that Excel 2007 must also be installed on your system. If you have Excel, frankly I'd make the chart there, then copy & paste it into your Word document.

Oops, misread the title; thought you were trying to do this in Word 2007  Embarrassed
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

This is for Excel 2003, I presume it is still the same.
Highlight the data in the first column
Hoding down the Control key, then highlight the data in the second column so both columns are highlighted
Click the Chart Wizard icon
Under Chart type, select XY(Scatter)
Under Chart sub-type you probably want the version with points shown and connected by straight lines (or suit yourself)
That is more or less it, so you can click Finish
Afterwards you can mess around with the axes, lables etc by right clicking the bit you want to change and choosing the format option.
Edit:  If you can get that to work I will remind myself about how to add a second data set to the chart and post instructions.
MrT
Grafter

Could this be the sort of thing you want?
If yes then we're getting somewhere!  Smiley
Luzern
Hero

Quote from: ReedRichards

Click the Chart Wizard icon
In my reading I found that the wizard is not in 2007.
Luzern
Hero

Quote from: johpal
Oops, misread the title; thought you were trying to do this in Word 2007  Embarrassed
Senior moment? Wink I've plenty of experience in those. Grin
@ MrT.
yes that's the sort of thing but without the in fill. You have more cols for the source data than I. Is that just for illustration?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

See http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/spreadsheets/office-excel-2007-chart-wizard-422490.html ?
The Chart Wizard isn't as magical as the name might imply, just walks you through the necessary steps sequentially.
MrT
Grafter

Columns A & B are the equivalent of your 1 & 2.
I have converted the contents from numbers to text and combined them in Column C with a few spaces inbetween.
The graph is then drawn using Column C as the X axis and Column D as the data to plot.
You can simply format the data "Fill" attribute to "No Fill"
So here are the details:
Colum A & B are your numbers
Cell C2 is the formula     =TEXT(A2,0)&"   "&TEXT(B2,0) - Copy this formula to other cells in column C
Column D is the data you wish to plot.

I hope this is clear to you. If you need further help, I'll try and explain it better.
Luzern
Hero

Thank you Smiley
I'll have to  try it later, after other duties