cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excel 2000 maros

RobDickson
Grafter

Excel 2000 maros

Now that Microsoft has ended extended support for Office 2000, I need to consider upgrading to a later version of Office.
What concerns me about doing so if whether all my Excel macros will work in Excel 2007. They were originally created in Excel 95 and worked fine when opened in Excel 2000.
I've had a search on the web, but can't find much information out there. I'm sure there's information there, I must just be typing the wrong things into Google.
Does anybody have any experience with Excel 95/2000 macros in later versions of Excel?
It's also important for my Access2000/Word2000 mail merges to work OK, but they're not very complicated, so I don't expect I'll have problems.
I could always download the trial version of Office 2007, but I hope that someone here could offer some advice first.
Thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5
RobDickson
Grafter

Re: Excel 2000 maros

Another thought - how important is it to upgrade? I've always installed the latest security updates for Word and Excel, but with a bit of common sense and a decent virus checker, should I be OK?
Lurker
Grafter

We still use Office 2000 at work, and we aren't hugely worried yet.
We do keep a regular eye on things though, and we have got 2007 ready to deploy if we need to - but obviously we'd then have to shell out for the licensing too!
A few of us have been testing 2007 for a while, and the macros we have embedded still work fine; but ours tend to be for kicking off queries and for manipulating the save state in workbooks rather than for manipulating data.
I wouldn't worry too much though - why not install 2007 as a trial and see if things work?
Its free to trial.
RobDickson
Grafter

Thanks.
I will try Office 2007 when I have time. I don't want to install it on my main PC, so will clean up another old PC and try it on that (assuming it's fast enough).
hadden
Grafter

I have some reasonably complex macros that have been used since Excel 97. At every version change of Excel there have been a one or two changes to the macro functionality that caused temporary minor problems.
Checking back in my notes for the changeover to Excel 2007, the problem issues were where a macro added drawing objects or tried to set the border style of cells.
RobDickson
Grafter

Thanks. Although I put a lot of work into the macros, they're probably not complicated by most people's standards. Hopefully they'll work OK, but I'm less worried about trying them out now.