Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Evolution 2.26

tinto
Grafter

Evolution 2.26

Hi Folks,
I'm new to this forum and a very recent convert to plusnet, and I need help. About a year or so back I partitioned my hard drive and installed ubuntu 9.04, but was unable to get it on line with my then ISP (pipex) so I gave up after a while.  After moving to plusnet I found that I can get on line with ubuntu, but I'd forgotten my username and password.  I found out how to apply a new username and password, and got  a load ofupdates installed, but I can't get into  evolution 2.26, to install the settings because the First Run Assistant is missing.  I'd be grateful if anyone can help me out
Tinto
9 REPLIES 9
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Evolution 2.26

I don't use it personally (I like thunderbird) but isn't there an account setup option on the menu ?
Waldo
Grafter

Assuming you can get Evolution to load, click on Edit then Preferences. With Mail Accounts highlighted, click on Add and enter your settings.
tinto
Grafter

Hairy Biker, Waldo,
Thank you both for your very quick responses to my request for help, especially Waldo.  I followed your instructions Waldo but I'm still in the brown and smelly I'm afraid.  I installed my settings  as used in Outlook Express, and sent a test message to my Yahoo address, which arrived OK, and returned a message from there.  but got a pop up in Evolution, unable to connect to the POP server due to an error sending the password, and to enter the password which I did.  I then get another pop up "Unlock Keyring",  "The application "evolution" (/usr/bin/evolution) wants access to the default keyring but it is locked.  Enter password for the default keyring to unlock".  As it happens, I used the same password for both Ubuntu administrator and email, and entered it in both pop ups to no effect.  For what it's worth the returned message arrived safely in Outlook Express.
I hope you can help me out again
Tinto
Waldo
Grafter

Open Nautilus (the file manager), click on View then click to Show Hidden Files.
Look for a folder called .gnome2; inside is a folder called keyrings.
Inside that I have a login.keyring file (I'm on a Debian system here, your Ubuntu 9.04 might differ slightly).
I'd try renaming the keyring file (login.keyring.old say) after closing all applications.
Reboot and with any luck it'll create a new keyfile using your login password.
tinto
Grafter

Hi Waldo,
Thanks for your latest try at helping me get my email running, I'm afraid it was no more successful than the previous one, I'm still getting the log in error message when I hit the send/receive button, followed by a request for my password which doesn't seem to be accepted  ::).  I've considered changing the password but I can still send messages tho' I can't get incoming so I don't see how that would make any difference.
If you or anyone else has any further suggestions I'd be pleased to have them, but I don't want to become a nuisance Embarrassed :-[.
Ta much
tinto
HairyMcbiker
All Star

NB the password to open the keyring is YOUR users password (normally) not your email password, it is probably trying to save it in there so that it doesn't ask you when it connects every time
tinto
Grafter

Hi Waldo, Hairy Biker,

Sorry I haven't got back to you sooner, I've been away for a couple of days.  Anyway, I retried the suggestions from both of you but still no joy I'm afraid.  Thanks for your time and trouble, and I'll persevere with Ubuntu meantime.  The end of support for my Windows XP system isn't too far away, and I've been underwhelmed by both Vista and Windows 7, so an alternative has to be found
HairyMcbiker
All Star

You could also try creating a new user and see if it gets the startup setup you are looking for, then copy your stuff over to the new user, or look in .config and see if there is an evolution folder there or a .evolution folder in your home folder. As I say I don't use it so not sure where it would be,
Waldo
Grafter

Does this article help?
I setup Evolution on my Ubuntu 10.10 (netbook edition) and followed the advice in that article; didn't work as described - I wasn't asked to choose a password for the default keyring - but I did have to re-enter the POP password for retrieving mail in Evolution and the passphrase for my wireless encryption - both of which were then stored in Seahorse.