Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet over powerline..

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Ethernet over powerline..

Howdi gang..
Been mulling over putting some EoP adapters on the xmas wishlist...
Then I got thinking.. don't these only work on the same ring circuit? - What happens if up and downstairs are on different circuits?
Then I realise that they're all linked to the fusebox and little black box anyway.. which made me think that ok.. they WILL work on seperate rings.. but that then got me thinking.. in that case, next door would be able to use my ethernet too!
So.. can someone clarify this for me? I seem to be loosing my marbles..
@nanotm.. no need to tell me about how MI5 were having trouble with this interefering with their spy activities.. i read a story about it years ago and for once i will believe you.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
21 REPLIES 21
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Ethernet over powerline..

I've run it over ring mains on different fuse boxes (but on the same consumer unit). Next door is likely to be on a different phase to you. The pairing you have to do when setting the devices up should stop snooping.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Deleted - sorry I was trying to be helpful, but don't know why I bothered  Lips_are_sealed
7up
Community Veteran

Quote from: purleigh
you link YOUR homeplugs together when you install them, so the neighbours can't piggy-back your network.

So this can actually be done? - So whats to stop me using one of these at my place and then another at my mates the other side of town? (ok .. maybe 20 houses up the street lol)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Deleted - sorry I was trying to be helpful, but don't know why I bothered  Lips_are_sealed
Anonymous
Not applicable

sjptd
Grafter

I've had a pair working reasonably well over two different consumer boxes (old house with some rather odd wiring).
The never go near the speed quoted even when quite close, and the speed quoted is sum of both directions.  Unless you have perfect wiring you need at least 500Mbps rated to get fibre kind of speeds.
One thing I found made them work badly is having the homeplug in a twin socket with computer equipment in the other half (which is a very natural setup).  I lost more then 50% of speed from this; using a slightly longer ethernet connection to another socket in same room/same ring resolved it.  (after post on BT forum; I didn't believe it till I tried)
7up
Community Veteran

Because the speed drops off rapidly after about 50 foot of mains wiring, AND your mate would have to be on the same mains phase (a one in three chance).

Shame .. until i realised the internet and a vpn would do the same job  Crazy
Where do i come up with these crazy thoughts? Huh
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have all the crazy thoughts you like, I won't bother wasting my time trying to help you again !   Lips_are_sealed
I was simply offering you an olive branch by getting involved, in the hope of moving on from past differences,
but instead I have every word nit-picked, twisted, argued with, and then you kick me in the teeth just for trying.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Not everyone seems so keen on powerline adapters: http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=14695.0
7up
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
Where do i come up with these crazy thoughts? Huh

You already answered that at the beginning of this topic -
Quote from: 7up
I seem to be loosing my marbles..

and the word is "losing" NOT "loosingCrazy

What on earth is the matter with you?
You come back after vanishing for ages, bang on about your wonderful 64bit router being up for decades (like anyone can really compete with that) and then when i jokingly mention that you can't reboot your copper or fibre you lose your rag and go ape at me causing me to retaliate in self defence and then you start deleting stuff everywhere.
Grow up purleigh. I used to have a lot of respect for you but your behaviour is somewhat odd lately. You of all people should also know i don't carry spats between topics (with the exception of one or two members) yet you're dragging this out over two topics.. and why... because i made a comment about your connection wire with a laughing smiley next to it?
Are you for real?
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Ignoring the above, I've had a pair of 80Mbps PLTs for about 7 years, they've worked nicely, but I can tell they're not up to par with modern networking as when I tried streaming HD video from my media server to my TV it would stall and cut out, so I replaced it with some CAT5e, much more reliable... Smiley
The only complaints I know of about the use of the faster PLTs is it apparently wipes out DAB and AM (Inc. SW, MW and LW) radio, the biggest complaints coming from HAM radio users, kind of a modern take on the old Marconi spark-transmitters which radiated noise right across the spectrum, which were quickly banned as soon as tuned circuit radio came into existence, but for the cost of the plugs versus the cost of some CAT5 or CAT6 wiring, I'd go for the wiring myself... Smiley
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Yes, and MW and LW radio use much of the same frequency range as ADSL signals use.
BruceMcTavish
Grafter

I've had abit of the devolo kit running for a while. It works fine if each bit is on a different phase coming into property. (Their old kit didn't cope with this, the new kit does).
Works very well indeed.
No interference to DAB with radio in same room. If I turn the wifi on it does radiate a signal outside the house much further than the router can.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have lots of these all TP-Link in various guises. Single, Dual and Triple LAN with and without pass through and they work really, really well. I can transfer a large 5+GB ISO file over the wire at 90+MB/s which is better than a poke in the eye.