Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet over mains

mathewwhite
Dabbler

Ethernet over mains

Evening all,
I am after some advice about ethernet over mains.
I currently use a couple of solwise plug adapters to carry my ethernet (and internet) throughout the electricity cabling inside my house. I have had some excellent results and can connect with ease and transfer/stream data easily.
I have two adsl lines in to my house, personal and work (I sometimes work from home). Does anyone know if it is possible to have two networks over the same mains circuit - IE - have my work broadband and personal broadband over the same cabling. Some people I have asked seem to think that it is possible, others are not so sure.
The internet has not been (so far) the answer.
IF anyone know, I would be most grateful
Matt
2 REPLIES 2
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Ethernet over mains

Tricky question.  I think it depends on which SolWise adapters you are using.  Reading the technical spec pdf for the new 200Meg units, it seems there are two possibilities if one network is using the new unit:
1:  Interworking with the older 14 Meg units is optional. 
2: If both networks are the newer units, then you can have multiple networks by setting up a different NMK (Network Management Key) for each logical network.
This info tucked away on page 9 of 11 in the pdf referenced above.
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mathewwhite
Dabbler

Re: Ethernet over mains

Thanks Maurice - very useful
I will give it a go!