Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet over Power devices

cphillips
Dabbler

Ethernet over Power devices

Hi all
Anyone using/used these devices?  Such as Homeplug/Solwise etc?
Any comments on speed/reliability?
Thanks
Colin
2 REPLIES 2
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: Ethernet over Power devices

Never used them but one issue that always stuck in my mind is what about RCDs? - You know, circuit breakers.
Then you have different ring circuits in the house etc. How is this ethernet signal supposed to communicate over such obstacles?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
bobboulby
Grafter

Re: Ethernet over Power devices

Yes, I've got a pair of Netgear HDX101s connecting my son's PS3 to our router. I bought these because we were getting an unreliable wireless signal.

I've had no problems (I've had them for about 6 weeks) and they have been 100% reliable.

According to the Netgear Configuration Utility I get speeds of around 50 to 60 Mbps although this does seem to vary. I've seen as much as 100 Mbps and as little as 40 Mbps - I guess it depends on the amount of noise on the circuit.

One HDX101 is connected to our router upstairs in one corner of the house, the other to the PS3 downstairs and about as far away as you can get. I also have the "router" HDX101 plugged in to an extension lead (which you're not supposed to do) but the adapters are quite bulky and there isn't room to plug it straight in to the wall socket.

There was a discussion in the Community Forum a couple of weeks ago about latency where I posted some ping statistics http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,66574.msg533663.html#newhttp://community.plus.net/fo.... I've replicated a summary of these below.

Powerline to PS3
Ping statistics for ***.***.*.*:
    Packets: Sent = 30, Received = 30, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 4ms, Maximum = 117ms, Average = 11ms
Wireless to PSP (35% signal strength) Note the PSP is next to the PS3 in this test.
    Packets: Sent = 30, Received = 24, Lost = 6 (20% loss),
    Minimum = 39ms, Maximum = 181ms, Average = 87ms
Wireless to PSP (95% signal strength)
    Packets: Sent = 30, Received = 30, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Minimum = 13ms, Maximum = 20ms, Average = 16ms
Hope this helps - Bob