cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet connection not recognised

Yorkslad

Ethernet connection not recognised

Hi,

I have Technicolor TG582n modem which I have have had since signing up with plusnet several years back. Just got new TV which requires connect via ethernet connection to router but when I connect TV says no internet connection plugged in and the ethernet light on router doesn't light.

Connected laptop ( running Windows 10) to router via cable again nothing and running diagnostic in Windows it says a cable is unplugged ( or similar).

I have tried two cables type cm24awg verified to e1a/t1a-568b if that means anything.

With both cables to TV or laptop the ethernet light on router does not light at all.

Any advice appreciated

7 REPLIES 7
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Ethernet connection not recognised

Try in order (until something works):

1. Restart router
  2. Factory reset router
  3. Replace router

Make a note of any router settings you have changed from their default values before carrying out step 2.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

@Yorkslad wrote:

Hi,

I have Technicolor TG582n modem which I have have had since signing up with plusnet several years back. Just got new TV which requires connect via ethernet connection to router but when I connect TV says no internet connection plugged in and the ethernet light on router doesn't light.

Connected laptop ( running Windows 10) to router via cable again nothing and running diagnostic in Windows it says a cable is unplugged ( or similar).

I have tried two cables type cm24awg verified to e1a/t1a-568b if that means anything.

With both cables to TV or laptop the ethernet light on router does not light at all.

Any advice appreciated

You need to use ethernet cable, such as a CAT5 or the ethernet droplead that Plusnet sent you with your router.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Yorkslad

Thanks for your help. Did a reset as suggested and Ethernet now working only trouble is can't connect any devices to internet.
All router lights on and showing ' signal strength good' but when I try to connect get message 'connected no internet'. I have tried Laptop, tablet and phone. Have deleted plusnet from WiFi connections on devices and tried reconnecting but same message. Once again HELP!!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Have you tried a cable connection?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Yorkslad

Yep. Wi Fi was fine until I did the reset and as I say it's showing good signal and Ethernet connection now working but now I can't get any devices to connect.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I'm not sure if your router will autoconfigure after the factory reset?. You may need to reenter your username/password into it again to make the internet connection

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Yorkslad

Cheers, sounds possible, I'll give it a try