Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet Network Adaptor

Lovejoy
Grafter

Ethernet Network Adaptor

Hi
I have a D-link DSL 320T ethernet modem and am trying to link it to a TP-Link TL-WR541G ethernet Router.
The modem is working fine when attached to one PC. I have previously had the router working using one PC as a gateway but the file sharing capabilities were limited.
However when I connect the router with the modem and PC's I cannot get an internet connection.
The router offers several WAN settings and I have tried PPPoE, Static IP and Dynamic IP. With dynamic IP it will detect the settings using with Unicast DCHP (but not without Unicast DCHP) but there is still no internet connection.
The PC's are set to assign IPs automatically.
Any advice gratefully received.
7 REPLIES 7
Lovejoy
Grafter

Re: Ethernet Network Adaptor

Can anyone tell me if there is a problem with the two devices having the same address i.e.192.168.1.1 or should I change one?
Also what is the protocol from modem to router? (WAN)
Rikaitch
Grafter

having both IP addresses the same is a big no no. Change the modem if you can when it's plugged into your pc. As for the Protocol, it's almost definitely going to be TCP/IP.
Lovejoy
Grafter

Many thanks

Is it OK to change just the last digit or does it have to be completely different?
Also should DHCP be enabled/disabled on both devices?

Regards
Lovejoy
Grafter

I don't seem to be making any progress. I tried the setup suggested by PJ but to no avail so I contacted TP-Link and D-Link. The advice was as follows:-
Modem 192.168.1.1 DHCP on
Router 192.168.0.1 DHCP on
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
WAN Dynamic
This setup actually does everything it needs to do except allow me to connect to the internet.
I have also tried DHCP off on the router and get the same results. The router gets all the setup data from the ISP so I know that there is a connection made between router and modem. All PC IP address are assigned automatically and I can ping from PC to PC but alas no internet.
I know the modem works on its own as I am using it now.
I am beginning to sink into the depths of depression!
Will banging my head with a brick help I wonder?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Looking at the manuals, I think that setting is correct.
Can you ping the modem ( 192.168.1.1 ) from a PC connected to the router ?
What does the WAN section say in the Router Status , it should have an IP address in the 192.168.1.x range and have a default gateway of 192.168.1.1 ?
Has it got anything in the DNS server boxes ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Lovejoy
Grafter

Hi Ianwarrilow
No I can't ping the modem.
The Lan is IP 192.168.0.1
subnetmask 255.255.255.0
The WAN is set to dynamic IP reads
IP 87.112.23.61
Subnetmask 255.255.255.255
Defauly Gateway 87.112.23.61
DNS 212.159.6.9
These figures are all identical to the modem which is running the DHCP.
The boxes are blank until it obtains them.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

The router seems to be getting the public IP from the modem in this mode. Seeing that the modem is actually a modem/router I sort of expected the router WAN to get allocated an ip in the modem's DHCP list ( 192.168.1.x ). AS a last resort you might try setting the modem to 'bridge' mode and then setting the router to PPPOE and giving it your plusnet user/password and seeing if that works. One problem though is once you set the modem to 'bridge' mode you wont be able to connect to it from a PC again without a factory reset.
This link describes the setup
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r18768332-Help-Me-DSL-320T-DGL-4300
Hope this helps.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.