cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet Cable change

valart
Grafter

Ethernet Cable change

I have bought a new Windows 7 computer I have noticed that when I log off the  ethernet  light goes out and when I start the computer up the green light returns but flashes all the time,my internet connection is fine I just wondered if this was usual because when I had my xp computer this never happened.
3 REPLIES 3
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Ethernet Cable change

I've seen ethernet cards showed different lights depending upon the connection speed. It could be that your card is a Gigabit card and the flashing light means it is only connecting to the router at 100Mbps. I suggest you check your hardware documentation.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
valart
Grafter

Thank you for your reply but there is no problem with the speed
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'm not suggesting it is a problem. The ethernet ports on ADSL routers are nearly always 100Mbps (way faster than the internet line itself). I'm suggesting that the card in the PC could just be saying "I can run at 1Gbps put the box at the other end of the cable can't". If the router supported 1Gbps the internet would be no faster but speeds transferring data between PCs connected to the router would be significantly faster (but obviously of no benefit if you only have one PC!).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)