Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error loading DLL

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Error loading DLL

The following message appears when I finish loading windows,  C:\windows\system32\nvcpl.dll  Access is denied.
Everything seems to work ok but I could do to sort this out.  I Have tried system restore but the message still comes up.
A search on the internet leaves me even more confused, most posts seem to suggest its not a problem and there are a few sites that offer a free download of this dll, on checking this I find the ones I looked at seem a lot older than my existing dll in the system 32 folder.
I do have an original windows XP disk so would an attempt repair sort this problem out as I would not wish to lose any programs.
I Have just added an additional fan to my computer and seemed to remember reading some article ages ago that if you change or alter more than 3 components in a computer windows may give error messages as its security system is tied in with your hardware.
I would be grateful for any advice but please keep it simple.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
4 REPLIES 4
thejudge
Rising Star

Re: Error loading DLL

I'm not sure that reinstalling/repairing Windows would do any good. The file in question relates to an Nvidia display adapter (I assume your graphics card is an Nvidia? Control Panel > System > Device Manager > Display Adapters should tell you). The problem you're having isn't critical and, apart from the nagging message after loading Windows, it'll probably have no effect on your day-to-day usage.
Some things you might try to resolve the problem (simplest first - try each one in order):
1. Right-click on the file C:\windows\system32\nvcpl.dll, click on 'Properties'. At the bottom of the 'General' tab, it'll show whether the file is 'read-only' or not. If the 'Read-only' box is checked, uncheck it and click apply.
2. Go to Start > Run and type in "regsvr32 nvcpl.dll" (without the quotes). This should re-register the .dll file.
3. Go to Start > Run and type in "msconfig" (again without the quotes). Click on the Startup tab, which shows a list of processes which start when you load Windows. If there's an entry called NvCpl there, take the tick out and click 'Apply'. This should at least get rid of the error message because Windows will no longer load the component when Windows itself loads.
It's possible that in order to solve the problem completely (like I said, it's not likely to affect what you're doing) you may need to update the drivers for your graphics card.
Hope this helps.
samuria
Grafter

In msconfig as described above check the entry for the file it should be
NvCplDaemon    RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup  If any of this is missing it would cause the problem
You can safely remove it as the card try to load all sorts of rubbish like display setting to the tray and multi desktops.
If you have the display drivers as a separate download or on install cd the file is there but compressed so you can reinstall it without  running setup by using
expand NvCpl.dl_  C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Thank you for your responses. Followed your advice & the messages have gone !
We are born into history and history is born into us.
Denzil
Grafter

Incidentally, fitting a fan would have no effect on Windows activation. It looks at the major components - motherboard, processor etc, and isn't so much to do with security as an anti-piracy measure.