cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Epson Printer.

Devonian
Grafter

Epson Printer.

Guys I have got a strange problem, I hope you can help?
I have a Epson Stylus SX600FW printer, it was working perfectly yesterday.
Today, I switched it on, and the printer is showing as offline.
I have tried going into the printer manager and changing it to online, I have done a factory reset, I have checked the network settings, re-downloaded the drivers, and it will not come online!
Any ideas guys?
Cheers.
11 REPLIES 11
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Epson Printer.

Quote from: Devonian
I have tried going into the printer manager and changing it to online, I have done a factory reset, I have checked the network settings, re-downloaded the drivers, and it will not come online!

I imagine after all those major changes you are further away from getting it to work than you were when you started.
NedLudd
Grafter

Reboot your router so that it can re-detect it?
Geoff,
York.
Devonian
Grafter

Hi Ned mate.
The router see's it, and the printer is connected via wifi.
I have tried wired to.
It's a real mystery!
After a google search it seem's to be a random issue with no fix apart from sending back to Epson.

ReedRichards, thanks for the bitchy comments mate, but perhaps you would keep them to yourself?
Unless you can think of any other way of fixing it of course?  
Because believe it or not, I am not a bumbling fool, I started with the basics and moved on.. just like every little problem in life. Smiley
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Have you tried a large hammer?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

This may not be relevant but my Epsom printer suddenly stopped working and it turned out that there was a software counter in the printer where after a number of copies/stroke cleaning cycles it would just stop working and it needed to go back to Epson for cleaning and reset
I tried fixing it with a firmware hack and bricked it - I now have a Canon  Grin
Devonian
Grafter

I never knew about the counter, I'll have a look and see, you never know.
I tend to clean it when the print comes out terrible.
Regards the hammer... very good idea! Smiley
robski1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 7

There is a free tool at  http://www.xreset.com/2013/01/wic-reset-v3010001-tool-for-epson.html ; This will check the state of your counters. If you want to reset them they charge £5.00 for the Reset Key. Your printer appears in the their "Supported" list. Hope this helps.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Might be worth having a look on this site.......  "Fixyourownprinter.com"..... useful guy in Wales ... knows a lot about printers...
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Devonian
Because believe it or not, I am not a bumbling fool,

I believe it. 
If a computer reports that a printer is 'offline' then either the printer has been set to work offline or the computer cannot see the printer.  Assuming it's the latter then as far as the computer is concerned the printer is not there.  If you do a factory reset then the printer will lose its network setting so it really won't be there.  So you have to re-enter the network setting which opens up the possibility of making a mistake.  A mistake would produce the same result as your original problem but with a different cause.
What I should have said originally was to try a USB connection.  Perhaps you have, I don't know if by 'wired' you mean wired Ethernet or USB.  If USB did not work then the likely possibility is what the other respondents say. 
PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

Only ever owned 1 Epson printer as it came with a computer system, after repeatedly annoying me with it's demands for cleaning & using up all the ink in the process in an attempt to print out a single sheet document it met a sticky end out in the garden with a sledge hammer  Cheesy
I always buy HP printers now, they normally last me around 5 years.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Oldjim
This may not be relevant but my Epsom printer suddenly stopped working and it turned out that there was a software counter in the printer where after a number of copies/stroke cleaning cycles it would just stop working and it needed to go back to Epson for cleaning and reset

Presumably having found out that they couldn't make a profit from the ridiculously high price on ink due to the availability of compatibles they had to find another way to screw the user over.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)