Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Environment monitoring - latest toy

AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

Environment monitoring - latest toy

I've been playing with a Jacarta interSeptor Pro. It is part of a system designed to monitor technology equipment rooms. It is very much play and play making use of structured cabling (UTP) for connection of sensors. There's a limitation of max 20 metres between the sensors and the interSeptor control box.  The interSeptor can be monitored and controlled over IP and/or internet using a standard browser. The setup process is a breeze.. It has a good range of sensors.
What stung me into action was a flood warning by the Environment Agency. My garden and garage are on the flood plain of the Derwent. Every few years the river comes to visit the garden. I have a one year old Audi A6 Avant parked in the garage which is about 70 metres from our house. I had visions of awaking to find the Audi door deep in flood water.
I had the flood alert call from the Environment Agency at 9:30am last Thursday. By mid-day I had cabled and installed in the garage a warning system using components fresh from the manufacturer cardboard boxes. It includes water leak detection cable, temperature/humidity sensors, a door sensor with a strobe/siren beacon. LAN connection was via a Devolo network over mains plug system. I also included the capability of generating and sending  SMS text messages when a "fault" condition such as flooding occurs. The interSeptor also send emails as well as SNMP traps for a server/network monitoring tool which we rent for £4 a month.
Fortunately there was no flooding, but I know sleep better at night.  I'm happy to supply details if any one is interested.

Today I commissioned a new Plusnet ADSL link to our new offices for the purpose of remote monitoring using the same technology. Fortunately it was (a couple of days later than scheduled) plug in and go with the new circuit.

Note: Sorry Mods I meant this to be in Hardware...
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
12 REPLIES 12
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Environment monitoring - latest toy

Why not just move the car?
What would you do if there was a flood?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

AlaricAdair
Champion

What and ruin the chance of playing with the latest toy?  Smiley
No, the concern is waking to find a flood after heavy rain if there's no warning from the environment agency. It doesn't happen often and the usual cause of flooding is the overflow flood gates being opened about 20 miles upstream at one of the local large reservoirs (Ladybower) or it can occur when a floodgate fails to open and the river backs up. You don't always get warning of that happening. With the arrangements I have now I'll get an additional warning in sufficient time to move the car if flooding starts to trickle into the garage.
It also gives us chance to set up our demountable flood barriers around our house to stop the cellar from flooding.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Here is a " cheapskates" version ! ! ! ..  Grin Grin Grin
http://www.instructables.com/id/Water-Level-Indicator-with-Alarm-1/
AlaricAdair
Champion

No SMS  Tongue
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I didn't know you could make PCB's out of paper.  Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

pwatson
Rising Star

Most PCBs used to be made out of paper...  Synthetic Resin Bonded Paper (SRBP)
Anonymous
Not applicable

As was "Veroboard", widely used for circuit prototyping and hobby electronic projects.
AlaricAdair
Champion

Ooooh Veroboard. That brings back memories of  soldering NE555s to make timers.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Quote from: AlaricAdair
No SMS  Tongue

If you googled it... you could probably come up with something that would do the trick !  Grin
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: AlaricAdair
NE555s to make timers.

That's a bit advanced....a couple of OC71's, resistors and caps for me Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
dragon2611
Grafter

Bet that system isn't cheap.
Ubiquiti have a load of sensors in the m-Fi series but I don't think they have a water detector yet, annoyingly their power stuff is only currently available with EU plugs through, shame as it's fairly reasonably priced
It's annoying as most IP switched PDU's are insanely expensive for what they are  Sad
AlaricAdair
Champion

I'm also evaluating z-wave (and X10) equipment for environmental monitoring, but have encountered problems with hooking up equipment for different manufacturers. You soon have to dip into the script/programming language to do anything useful. The new Wifi types of sensors/controllers look more promising particularly as the "Internet of Things" comes along, but that won't get too far until IPV6 is more commonplace.
The data centre heritage of the Jacarta equipment makes it very reliable and easy to use, but it is still priced above consumer pricing and use in the home. For data centres the cost/benefit/risk calculation of the Jacarta equipment is a no-brainer, the higher capital cost is soon offset against low installation costs, reduced operational costs and reduced risk cost.