cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Envelopes, Printers & Dogs

atbs1
Grafter

Envelopes, Printers & Dogs

We currently run a laser brother HL-4040CN and an injet Canon Pixma ip4700. The brother is about a year old. the canon is new. The brother is an absolute dog with envelopes and is beginning to splat toner over the print outs. However we'll use for internal stuff until anything need replacing!
So that's the reason we went back to good ol' inkjet upon a good write up in PC Pro magazine. Anyway the print quality IS superior - however it too is an absolute dog with C5 and DL envelopes! So now we have a pack of dogs! Please can anybody recommend a printer which, through their usage experience, can print envelopes??  Never had problems like this with the antient Epson LQ series!
8 REPLIES 8
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Envelopes, Printers & Dogs

If you are printing a lot of envelopes then no there is no good printer for it, other than maybe a dedicated one (if such exists?)
You need one with a straight through print path, preferable flat so it doesn't crease the envelope. I have used a LJ III previously for a run of about 50 but nothing recently, other than trying to print a couple on my iP4000 with cr*p results. (I usually end up printing labels then sticking them to the envelope)
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

...or depending on what you are putting in the envelope print the name and address on the content and use windowed envelopes.
We do that with all our invoicing. Never found anything really successful for quantity envelope printing.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

OK. I have two printers, both HP Deskjet models...... DJ840C. which is well out of date, but prints perfectly.... The envelopes go in the right hand side, face down and come out the right way up with print on them/... Same with the DJ5940.... a few years old now, not sure if still available, but same routine.  Occasionally had problem with them coming out slightly skew whiff.. but as I only print one at a time, I don`t consider it too much of a problem to take a bit more care putting the next one into the right place.!.... Never done "bulk" printing of envelopes so can`t speak for that.....
I use HP because they are Front loading and not Gravity Fed  like "cheap" printers !... Also means I can keep it under the desk on a "pull out" shelf, like a draw, until I need to service it with a new cartridge....
For bulk printing, You could always make some sort of "envelope holder" from suitable cardboard box, and fix it to the paper tray, to ensure the envelopes all go in "square"...
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Like Biker955 - the good old trusty LJiii still does the best job Smiley  20+ Years old and still going strong.
M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Bud
Grafter

I have done envelopes on my HP colour laserjet CP1515N using the manual feed and had no issues but when I have a few to do I usually do a sheet of labels on the laser printer or use the dymo label printer.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Labels get my vote, much easier than trying to feed a thick envelope through a curved paper path.
If you do a lot then those label printers are excellent.
But mostly I print postage labels from the Royal Mail web site, very useful.  Wink
mal0z
Grafter

I agree  that labels are the best solution. I've tried printing direct onto envelopes even on a high end printer / copier but it creases envelopes.
I regularly print name labels for magazines and address labels as well, and use Word mailmerge on an Excel database.
Denzil
Grafter

The quality of envelope makes a difference. They work better if they are designed to work with laser printers. Even so, my old HPLJ4500 tends to crease the trailing short edge slightly.