cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engineer recommended Huawei Echolife HG612 - is this worth keeping?

FIXED
Ripplyuk
Grafter

Engineer recommended Huawei Echolife HG612 - is this worth keeping?

I was given this modem by an openreach engineer at my previous address, when I was experiencing horrendous broadband problems. So bad I ended up having about 40 engineer visits over two years. He said this would help with keeping a connection and implied that it was 'special' and far better than anything else. 

I've since moved house and my broadband is much better at this house (not as good as promised though!). I took the modem with me when I moved and am still using it. 

I've recently renewed my contract and was sent a plusnet hub. It would be useful to swap to this as it's all-in-one, and would free up a socket, but I'm worried that my connection will not be as good if I stop using this 'special' modem. 

Is there really anything particularly good about this modem? Was the engineer talking nonsense? 

2 REPLIES 2
Ripplyuk
Grafter

Re: Engineer recommended Huawei Echolife HG612 - is this worth keeping?

Just bumping this hoping for a response. 

twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Re: Engineer recommended Huawei Echolife HG612 - is this worth keeping?

Fix

Nowt special about it really, it's just a modem that takes the VDSL2 signal that's coming in along the telephone line and translating it into an ethernet signal so you can hook it up to your own choice of router, I have the same modem and quite happy to have separate parts as it gives a litte more flexibility with my networking setup (the modem sits downstairs next to the master socket while my router connected by ethernet is upstairs for better WiFi range)... Smiley