Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Energy saving plugs

St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Energy saving plugs

Ive been using one of these http://www.liquidsilver.org/2010/04/powerdown-energy-saving-plug/ ; for the past 3 years, but im not really sure if its actully making me any savings.
Just wanted to ask if any of you use any type of energy saving plugs and which ones ?
Also is it really worth having one ?
When i first moved to e-on for my energy they sent me one of these plugs for free but im just not sure if they actully make you any savings.
10 REPLIES 10
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: Energy saving plugs

they aren't "energy saving" as such, all they do it turn things off when it detects that no power is being drawn from the top socket.
you could save the same amount of energy by simply turning those other things off without the need for this "device".
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

many of those so called power saving plugs actually cost more to run than they save, it all depends on the power usage of the devices on the peripheral socket, I bought a 2400kva UPS unit last year and connected up 2 pc systems and various "extras" via an extentsion bar, according to the monitor software in the device the extra's use a combined total of 1kw/year, that's the modem /router/landline phone/ gigabit switch/ powered usb hdd, conversely the power monitor plugs 1.3kw/year in standby and more when the equipment is being operated so would actually be costing you more to mess up your stuff....
if it bothers you get a UPS unit and you can switch off the mains when you turn off your pc so your peripherals are running on battery backup power when your not using them directly, personally I wouldn't waste extra cash using one around a pc, and whilst it sounds like a good idea for things like the tv or surround sound system mine are so called smart products and they perform updates when I'm not using them rather like some other consumer devices /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Most new equipment in standby will be taking <1W, not worth the hassle on it. For older stuff yes. BUT you really need to check with a power meter. My PC will take 35W in STANDBY, so if I used that (I have one as well) it would take that + the power the unit takes.
What I use is a wireless powered socket, with it off the draw is <1W, with it on as normal. They seem to have fallen out of fashion as I haven't seen them in Aldi/Asda/Tesco recently.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

In winter no energy is wasted as it is dissipated as heat.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

I had one of them eon plugs, it piddled me right off as I had my old Pentium 4 computer (was my main one at the time) on the load socket, and my monitor on the "save energy here" socket, and the damned thing kept shutting my monitor off as I was using the computer and wouldn't switch it back on until I unplugged the so-called energy saving plug!!! Needless to say I got annoyed with enough that I removed it and threw it in my drawer, and then latterly took it apart to remove the relay for a project, so if you have one, throw it in the bin, they're useless, you can save more energy just by flicking a switch...
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Quote from: nanotm
if it bothers you get a UPS unit and you can switch off the mains when you turn off your pc so your peripherals are running on battery backup power when your not using them directly

Problem there is it uses more energy to recharge the batteries AND run the peripherals than it does to just run the peripherals directly off the mains...
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I like this type, if mounted where the switches are accessible it's really easy to save energy by manually switching: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Masterplug-SWC62-MP-6-Socket-Individually-Extension/dp/B001UVQYV2
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
picbits
Rising Star

I use a trailing socket hooked up to a remote control plug to isolate batches of equipment - saves me over £100 a year just by killing power to items that aren't used.
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Seems just like smart meters.
Not really saving, just pointing out what you are already using.
Much cheaper just to buy one of those energy measuring plugs.
Mine was 99p on ebay.
Once you check a few things and you know better what to cut it goes back in the cupboard.
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

thanks for your feedback ladies Wink The plugs now gone on a long trip to the dump!