cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Energy conservation toy - might be of interest to some of you

alanb
Grafter

Energy conservation toy - might be of interest to some of you

It's a four socket mains extension lead, with a hand-held wireless remote-control that allows you to switch each socket on or off remotely. There's also a button to switch all four sockets off. I spotted it in Maplin's earlier today. They're selling it for half price at the moment, I doubt that I would have paid the full price, but it was more difficult to resist at 14.99.
This is just what I need for my computer desk, which currently has about a dozen bits of kit plugged into an array of extensions. Now it's all organised. Each of my extension leads is plugged into a remote-controlled socket so that when I press button 1, power is supplied only to the kit essential for my daily computing needs, button 2 controls power to various bits of optional kit and my other computers, button 3 fires up various chargers for mobile phones etc, and button 4 is currently spare. Now I no longer have to scrabble about in the dust and fluff under my desk to make sure everything is turned on or off.
Mind you, this could be a dangerous toy, if you accidentally operate the remote and cut power to your PC while it is doing something important.
More details on Maplin's web site, here ...
http://www.maplin.co.uk/search.aspx?worldid=-4&MenuNo=83939&MenuName=Remote%20Control%20Extension%20...
By the way, the half price offer finishes on the 5th.
3 REPLIES 3
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Energy conservation toy - might be of interest to some of you

thats ok until you have a neighbour like me, he has just got one of those, I have had one for several years, now they turns on my reading light (cant get to the socket easily) when I dont want it i.e. 2:00 am am when I want it on they wants it off, also have one on my radio, same again, I have tried changing channels, but no luck, wish I could find out which person it is, so far not 3 of them,  Oh what is the range?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

My next door neighbour and I both had the same make and model of wireless door bell.
Needless to say when one had visitors both went to the door until I changed channel. Grin
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

For power consumption of some household objects, http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/gallery/2008/aug/01/energy.householdbills?picture=336141277 is good.  Smiley Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."