cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ending of landline phones?

christmas
Aspiring Pro

Ending of landline phones?

I'm trying to make sense of reports that BT is switching phone lines to use broadband.

"BT has taken the decision to retire the PSTN by December 2025 and other providers plan to follow a broadly similar timescale. This means that in future, landline calls will be delivered over digital technology called Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), which uses a broadband connection."

Will an existing phone continue to work, or have to be modified or replaced?

Does it mean the landline charge will drop in price, even possibly scrapped?

If someone doesn't already have broadband will they have to pay extra on top of their phone charges?

7 REPLIES 7
Protech
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Ending of landline phones?

This comprehensive article should answer your questions
https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/broadband/article/digital-voice-and-the-landline-phone-switch-off-wh...

However you should be aware that Plusnet does not currently offer any digital voice type products.
You can check out but you can never leave ( easily)
christmas
Aspiring Pro

Thank you.

I believe I have a DECT phone and wonder how it would plug into a router, it has the standard phone connections. Will it just be a case of just changing the lead?

Does it mean removing all the copper cable or will the existing cables be used?

Protech
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

For example BT routers, Smart hub 2 have a port for phone connection, they also sell an adaptor for their Digital Voice product
https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-digital-voice-adapter-100121-GN1T.html?utm_source=awin&utm_medium=af...
You can check out but you can never leave ( easily)
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@christmas  It is removal of the PSTN service, that is the phone service on copper lines, it does not mean that all the copper lines will be removed, they will be around for many more years. Where full fibre (FTTP) is available copper may be removed or just disconnected, in other areas phone calls use a Voip service using Broadband over existing copper lines.

christmas
Aspiring Pro

Thank you for the replies...I do prefer devices that are plugged in rather than work through the either.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@christmas 

The wireless BT version is an example. hardwired versions are readily available such as  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grandstream-HT-812-2FXS-Gateway-Black/dp/B01M2ZJQAF/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1AOZ8FD...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

christmas
Aspiring Pro

Thank you for the information.

Does the switch to broadband mean I can ditch the current landline and keep the BT phone service using the Plusnet broadband connection or would I have to take out a phone contract with Plusnet?

Sorry for all the questions.

I knew Baldrick when he was in "Who Dares Wins" getting his kit off on a regular basis.