cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emailing Pics

artmo
Aspiring Champion

Emailing Pics

I wonder if someone can help please.  I send pics by email and what I would like to do is add a signature (?) to the pic in one corner before I send it.  Is there a simple way of doing this?
9 REPLIES 9
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Emailing Pics

any of the picture edit progs will do it, how about the free Gimp, save it under a different name and resize it to a suitable for e-mail, some people send 2400,  best to use a max of 1024, 768
edit, just added the text in LH corner with IrfanView
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Thanks PP.  What is Gimp?  I was really wanting an idiot's guide on this one.  Is it possible to create a template with the signiture on and drop a pic into it?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

did you not google it?  http://www.gimp.org/
if you go into more complex edit progs, they use what are called layers, you could make a layer with your sig on it, save it then paste it as a new layer onto the original pic and post that
barky
Grafter

found paint shop pro 10 on a download site for free - appears to be a full version too
http://www.v3.co.uk/computeractive/downloads/2164817/paint-shop-pro
for those who want a slightly simpler program to get used to than gimp first appears to be that adds text to photos & a lot more it's probably worth a punt
-- only minus I've found is a prompt when you close the program to buy the latest version, I've still to find how to disable it.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I have Photoshop and Paintshop Pro but was trying to avoid the complexities of these progs.  I'll have a look at Gimp later.  Thank you.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Thanks Barky.  Just discovered on this PC I don't have Paintshop Pro so will download from your link.
mentalist3d
Grafter

For something simple you can download the image viewer IrfanView (just google it) for free, that will allow you to automatically resize a folder of images including resolutions and add a bit of text for your copyright or other text, really easy to use Smiley
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

With Irfanview,. when you want to add text to a picture....
get the pic on the screen in irfanview.
make a selection box on the picture by "left click and hold" the mouse cursor. in the approx position you want the text to appear
go to Edit (top tool bar) and click "Insert text into selection"
You now get a box with a menu of choices....
type your text into the white box.
check the little box underneath with a tick  (Text is transparent) 
choose the font (as in normal text operations .... including size and colour)
choose the location in the "selection box on the pic" where you want the text (centre is good)
then click OK...
if text is too big or too small or wrong colour, for the box, go back to choose font and reset.
When happy with the result..... don`t forget to go to File and Save....... (use same file name but add a letter or number, and it will save it in the same directory as the original.....
As a point of interest. this text will remain in the box until you change it... so next time (if you haven`t used the facility of adding text, it will still be the same, (you will still need to locate the selection box at the start of the program when you use a new pic..
Irfanview is SIMPLE to use, and of course FREE......
hope that helps Wink

artmo
Aspiring Champion

I think mentalist missed the date on this thread.  It's a month old.  Shutter was very helpful to me at the time and I got my problem solved.  Smiley Smiley