cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email synchronising ?

oldgeezer
Grafter

Email synchronising ?

I have a desktop and a netbook on a small home network. My problem is that when I send or receive emails (outlook express) on one or t'other of my machines the email is saved on that machine only. Sod's Law dictates that when I want to refer to an email, it's always on the machine that I haven't booted up.
Other than by copying individual emails across to the other machine is there any way of setting it up so that all received and sent emails can be acessed from each machine?
If there's a noddy way of doing this please excuse my ignorance !
Regards,
oldgeezer
8 REPLIES 8
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Email synchronising ?

you can set a switch to leave them on the server, 
oldgeezer
Grafter

Thanks pierre_pierre,
but where do I set this switch, I've looked around OE but I can't see anything ?
oldgeezer
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Have a look here....
http://www.plus.net/support/email/setup/outlook_express.shtml
Almost at the bottom of the page.......
Not applicable

Set both to IMAP and a copy is always saved on the server. You will need to go into Squirrelmail from time to time to do a clear out.
Alternatively, forget downloading them at all and just use webmail.
If Squirrelmail is not your thing you can always open a Gmail account and have your emails collected from the Plusnet server.
Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
you can set a switch to leave them on the server, 

That works for the emails you receive, but not for the ones you send, unless you also email yourself a copy, which is a bit messy.
I don't think there is an elegant solution if you want to stick with POP3 (client based storage) rather than IMAP (server based storage). I have a similar setup, except that I am usually using one PC when at home & the netbook when travelling. I just copy the profile to the computer I am about to be using, which also acts as a handy additional backup.
Not sure how easy that is with Outlook Express. It used to be well nigh impossible, but I think later versions are easier to manage. I haven't used it for a good many years now.
Not applicable

Have come to the conclusion that the best thing to do with a multiple computer setup is to forget email clients and to just stick with webmail. Gmail is good, particularly as it fetches mail from other sources and is very configurable, but I detest the conversation view and wish that it could be disabled. Zoho mail is pretty straightforward but would like to check out Yahoo one day.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Just looked at two of my machines, this on Win 7 and a netbook on linux
I have Thunderbird on both using IMAP on one of the mail boxes, they both have the same sent mail folders, so it must be held on the PN server
pierre_pierre
Grafter

re Josies other comment, why go into web mail to clear the server based stuff?  Thunderbird is quiet capable of doing that.  and if you are a proliferate mailer you will find that Squirrel mail gets stuffed if there are too many mails on the server.
My other query  Why use G mail?  I regularly use Thunderbird all over the UK to look at and manage my PM mail and my wife has a box on here Win XP netbook, I have several on My Linux Netbook and also have them all on this Win 7 machine  All on IMAP, I also down load them when back home to this machine via POP3  - and Win 7 comes without an e-mail program