Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email steup?

FIXED
Daisy

Email steup?

Hello,

Following a message from Plusnet to say that 4 attempts had been made to hack my password I was advised to reset my password. I did. All ok with 3 of our email addresses but the one that is done with imap not pop3 will not let me change the password.  I have rung Plusnet but for the first time ever they could not sort my problem. I think that may be because the man I spoke to did not have any experience with Thunderbird. He suggested I try and do it myself again and he sent me directions on how to set it up. This failed, I followed the instructions on this forum but again it will not accept my password. This fourth email was set up to help me change from one laptop to another and it was hard to set up, I had to contact Plusnet and the only way they managed to do it was using imap.

Am I using the wrong password? The others use the one I sign into my Plusnet account with. I have been a Plusnet customer for a long time and my email is the force9 account.

I would be grateful if someone can help me as this has been going on for 3 weeks!

Thank you, Daisy.

5 REPLIES 5
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Email steup?

Hello, Daisy

Just to be clear, are you saying that Thunderbird will not let you change the password or that when you change the password in Thunderbird then the new password is rejected?  If you have 4 email addresses presumably each has it's own password?  But you changed all four passwords?

Daisy

Thank for your reply.

I really do not know if the email addresses have different passwords. Is there any way I can find out?

With the other three no password is entered to get mail. The other three emails come in straight away without entering a password. As soon as I select the other email account it tries to access mail but then a box comes up asking me to enter password. I put what I think is the right password in but that gets rejected.

I did think of taking out the problem address and starting installation from scratch but when I did I lost the emails in my inbox! Had to go back to a restore point. I looked for a way to save inbox onto a memory stick but could not find how to do it.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Fix

@Daisy

I wrote a "tutorial"  "How to Transfer your emails from your old computer or hdd to a new computer /hdd

https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/How-to-Transfer-your-old-emails-to-a-new-install-on-Thunderbird/...

I did ask the mods to make it a "sticky" on the Email board,.... but theydecided it was not important enough for it to be there for everyone to find easily enough....  and ignored the request.

The part that you may be able to use is the middle bit.... 

In your case, you only want to find the present location on your hard drive... and save it to a usb stick... so go to "Start" > Computer.. click on Computer...   and then follow this......

_________________________________________________________________________________________

then at the top right is a search box… type in there mail.plus.net

After doing a search of that hard drive,… it will probably come up with a couple of references …. Each with a date on it…

use the latest date… double click on it, to reveal the contents…..

Select/highlight them all….. Then right click & “copy”

****************************************************************************************************************

You should then be able to "paste" that to a "new folder" ( my emails)..  on your usb stick... and return it back to it`s location by reversing the procedure....

______________________________________________________________________________________________

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Are these all linked Force9 email addresses?  So something like bob@daisy.force9.co.uk, carol@daisy.force9.co.uk ted@daisy.force9.co.uk & alice@daisy.force9.co.uk?  What these have in common is that the first 'word' after the @ is the same and identifies your account.  That's the standard format for Plusnet; I'm not certain it is the same for Force9.  

Daisy

Yes they are all linked.   daisy@surname2.force9.co.uk the others have christian names followed by@

then our surname, the the number2 then.force9.co.uk

Last night I removed the email account and tried to reinstall it following Plusnet instructions on their web site but again failed. I get a box which says invalid log in. Enter password but it does not accept it.