cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email problems with Windows Live Mail

barn1staple2

Email problems with Windows Live Mail

I am using Plusnet Broadband via a Speedtouch router and ethernet link (that is, not a wireless link).
I use ORANGE email (orangehome) for my emails.
I have set up my outgoing mail as smtp.orangehome.co.uk on port 25.
I am using (Windows 7) Windows Live Mail in order to send/receive my Orange emails.
Although I can receive emails from Orange via Windows Live Mail (POP3, that is, pop.orangehome.co.uk on port 110), I cannot send them.
When I try to send emails I get the following error:
Cannot find server
Windows Live Mail error ID:  0x800CCC0E
protocol:  smtp
port:  25
Socket error:  10061
I have asked everyone (Orange, Plusnet and other forums) what the problem may be but have been unable to solve the problem.
Could the problem be my Plusnet Broadband link? That is, could it be that the Plusnet Broadband link is hiding my smtp.orangehome.co.uk server from me?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Steve
4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Email problems with Windows Live Mail

try setting your outgoing server as relay.plus.net
http://forums.hexus.net/networking-broadband/166384-outlook-cannot-find-orange-smtp-server.html
Thanks guys. I had a poke around last night and it appears that the answer is that Orange are a bunch of unhelpful French people. Indeed access to the SMTP server is blocked except from other Orange lines.
I have had to use my SFR account for emailing out and Orange and SFR to receive. It's not elegant but it works.
http://help.orange.co.uk/orangeuk/support/personal/535013/2
if you're using another ISP to receive Orange email, you'll need to speak with the support team about how to set up your outgoing mail settings (smtp) so that you can send email using their service.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: barn1staple2
I have asked everyone (Orange, Plusnet and other forums) what the problem may be but have been unable to solve the problem.

Surely not!?!  This situation is the rule, not the exception.  You almost always have to send emails using the outgoing email server belonging to your ISP (as per Oldjim's reply).  You'll also need to supply your Plusnet email credentials in the "My outgoing server requires authentication" section.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: ReedRichards
You'll also need to supply your Plusnet email credentials in the "My outgoing server requires authentication" section.

I don't think that is required when sending from a Plusnet connection
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

But the standard credentials will be the ones for the Orange POP3 server, Oldjim.  Two sets of credentials are needed, one to receive (from Orange) and one to send (via Plusnet).
Edit:  No, sorry, I'm wrong and Oldjim is correct - just tested it.  Well I never.  No credentials needed to send via the Plusnet server.