Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email on iPhone

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Email on iPhone

Just taken delivery of a new iPhone 6S, and completed all the setting as set on the previous 5C.

Everything seems Ok (now) except I cannot send or receive email away from my WiFi home connection. I get various error messages including that my email address has been rejected by the server, as soon as I arrive home and get into range of my WiFi the errant email is sent, and other incoming are received. This is not unique to this iPhone as recently prior to the change over the 5C was doing the same thing.

Any other iPhone users had this problem?

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
6 REPLIES 6
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Email on iPhone

@petlew I'm sure you know this, but I don't know if it is set to 'ON' by default. In 'Mobile Data' , is your mail app toggle button grey or green?

John
petlew
Pro

Its "on" (green). Although data roaming is off, but that's not relevant really.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

In that case, sorry, can't think of a reason.Sad

John
petlew
Pro

To be honest this wasn't the only source of info I looked at for this problem. I think a fix has been suggested; that the iPhone email account SMTP settings needed to be adjusted to include my address and username etc. (which it wasn't set for)

Having done this I hope it cures the problem, I won't be away from my wifi for most of the day today, so I can't test it yet but, since the reset the email connection speed has suddenly increased in speed dramatically.

So thanks for the try jab1. 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I think a fix has been suggested; that the iPhone email account SMTP settings needed to be adjusted to include my address and username etc. (which it wasn't set for)

That's close!. You will need to use authenticated SMTP to send mail when not on a PlusNet connection. You need to to use a mailbox name as in accountname+mailboxname ( or I think the email address will work ) and the mailbox password

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

petlew
Pro

Thanks MisterW, I had to go out unexpectedly this morning so I tested it, and received an error message the the server had rejected my email address.

I had a conversation with PN tech services this morning, where it was decided that the outgoing server needed to be set for my username and password, which I did and sent a test mail to myself whilst still on to tech services.

I don't need to be away from my wifi to test as the simple answer is to switch off the router.

Anyway, the message went through to my inbox, but very slowly compared to how with my wifi connection active when a test to myself is almost instantaneous.

A check afterwards, show that the outgoing server setting had changed to remove my details to the greyed out optional. PN tech said this was ok, as the details would now be "remembered"

Just as an aside. Contrary to many reports of slow responses from the PN c/s . I have called twice in two days and been answered within five minutes both times, with an additional two minute wait to be transferred to tech services. both calls have been at around 09:30 in the morning.